Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have just purchased a T@ teardrop trailer that weighs

Customer Question

I have just purchased a [email protected] teardrop trailer that weighs 1,825 lbs, has a 200 lb tongue weight, and will be loaded with approximately 300 lbs of cargo, for a total weight of 2,325 lbs. I am going to buy a tow vehicle and am looking at the toyota highlander limited (awd, v6 with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs) and the highlander hybrid with a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. I am interested in the hybrid to obtain higher mpg. Will the hybrid do the job or do I need to get the limited. Robin
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The best choice here is the Highlander AWD (non-hybrid). If you are looking for gas mileage, yes, the Highlander Hybrid is an excellent choice, BUT....When you start towing things, the gasoline engine on this vehicle will run more (in conjunction with the hybrid power) to make up for the drag encountered by the towed unit. This reduces your mileage to that of any other conventional vehicle. I would opt for the non-hybrid with the higher towing capacity. Thsi would be my recommendation. The Hybrids are not all that great when it comes to towing on mountainous terrain.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got your answer. Thanks for your advice!

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks