Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

A friends secondary switch valve is out and I am trying to

Customer Question

a friends secondary switch valve is out and I am trying to help. this has been a problem for many 2005 forerunners as I understand. the secondary air injection kit and switch valve are close to $2,000.00 installed. Is this condition part of a recall? what will happen if its not repaired?
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 169,000 on the car (it has been a fantastic, trouble free car by the way). The check engine light came on last week. The diagnostic code shows the secondary switch valve as the problem. Her recommended repairs from her mechanic include the secondary air injection kit, upper intake gasket and the secondary switch valve. Any ideas ?
JA: What is the model of your '05 Toyota?
Customer: 4Runner, 4.7 L v-8, and I mistyped the mileage, its 149,000 miles.
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only the quote from her mechanic and then began my research. I will most likely fix it myself if possible. Other than the computer diagnostic of the "check engine" light, I have not attempted a repair. The truck still runs perfectly though.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks, ***** ***** researching to see if there is a less expensive fix or if the vehicle is ok without the repair.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 20 days ago.

Sorry for the delay, are you still needing assistance?