Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2001 toyota highlander, 252000 miles. Mechanic replaced the

Customer Question

2001 toyota highlander, 252000 miles. Mechanic replaced the knock sensors and wiring harness with toyota parts and the CEL comes back on with knock sensor codes. Don't know what else to do here. Any suggestions please. Thanks
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: CEL is on
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Replaced knock sensors and wiring harness
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Can I get the codes that are stored?

Can you hear excessive spark knock while driving or any performance issues?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe it was P0330 & I think P0225.
Bank 1 & 2.
And no driving issues or knock pinging that I notice.
CEL was off after replacing wiring harness and 2 sensors. It then came back on around 45mph and 2800-3000rpm and would not shift into OD again. My Mechanic thought maybe it's ECU or perhaps the knock sensors we used (which were aftermarket) didn't work. Transmission and engine are fine for age and don't know what to do next. Thanks

Thanks,

You will need to unplug the knock sensor sub harness and ECM and ohm test there wires to power and ground and from both end to see if the wire is weak or chaffed and rubbing another wire or the chassis. If that too passes with a good harness, sub harness, and sensors then check the ECM ground and lastly replace the ECM.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry been working but I will check this option out with my mechanic

Sounds good.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I've been working all week and haven't had a chance to get together with my mechanic. I'm hoping that solves it. Is there anything else that could be the cause That I should be aware of? Thxs again for your assistance

Nothing else comes to mind. Glad I could help.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

You wrote Thxs again for your assistance though you did not rate my response. Are you still needing help?