Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1991 Toyota truck and 1994 Toyota 4 runner 3.0 the ac

Customer Question

1991 Toyota truck and 1994 Toyota 4 runner 3.0 the ac compressor bracket fits just fine it came with the 1994 the ac compressor is 1991 truck bolts up just fine the belt wont go on the ac compressor is to short to line up
JA: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: is not the belt . the problem is the compressor is short from line up with the pullys
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put 1994 4 runner engine in 1991 truck 3.0 v6
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i wont to know what is different in the ac compressors and why it to short to line up with the pullys
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please clarify the following so I can better assist you:

You took the compressor and bracket out of a 94 3.0 litre V6 and put it into a 91 3.0 litre V6. Is this correct?

If so, please state exactly the issue with the compressor (too short is easy to misconstrue); thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the pully on the ac compressor sits to far back for it line up

The 91 and the 94 compressors are different. You need a 1991 compressor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have an 1991 its what I'm working with it cam in the 1991 truck

You said you had a 94 compressor and bracket being fitted to a 91; both 3.0 litre V6

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1991 truck no engine got a 1994 4 runner engine put it in a 1991 Toyota truck with the 91 compressor had no bracket but 194 did

Got it....94 V6 engine into a 91 V6 truck (no engine) and using the 91 compressor and bracket. Correct?

Won't work. The pulley arrangement on the 94 is different than the 91. That is why they use a different compressor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the 1991 had no bracket its was gone . the 1994 had one with the engine that i got

The blocks are identical; same bolt holes for the bracket. You might get lucky if you can find a 91 bracket. . The pulley arrangement is different between the two engines. the 91 bracket might shove the compressor a bit forward. Cant say for sure because I have never had to try this. I would locate a 94 and measure the length of the compressor. If it is longer than the 91; you need to find a compressor that fits.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
parts store said the ac compressors wher the same from 1988 to 1994 . 4 banger or v6 . i don't wont to change the bracket it lines up with the crank shaft . dose have to do with truck and suv

No. There is no difference in truck vs SUV. Same engine. Just a difference in years. Note that the 91 is R12 and the 94 should be R-134. That makes a difference.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
write I'm wonting to go r134 all the way inside and out using the suv setup in the 1991 r12 . that's all so why i need to know what i got and what is the specks and the ac compressor so i know what to get allso

Before you go any further, is the existing AC system charged/full of freon?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no

You are going to need to flush this system out, then change the receiver dryer or you are headed for problems which could lock up the compressor.

I will get the exact part numbers out of the book tomorrow at the shop ; I will get back to you tomorrow night. Is that ok?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just the under standing i need a r134 ac compressor and this will fit for the belt

Correct. 134 compressor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm going to take the hole set up in and out of a suv and put in a truck . i work on cars ever day 8 to 5 five days a week i got the others .

ok.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just one the thing the suv ac set up is biger than a truck . I'm wonting the truck ac to work but be colder then what came in it

You cannot achieve colder than what came with it.... R-134 does not cool as good as R-12. You can get 30 degree air temp at the dash vents with R-12. You can only get as low as with R-134.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i get r12 is colder but one problem r12 is done its old out dated pass its time and if you could even get your hands on r12 is like gold for get about r12 , think r134

R-12 is not outdated, it is still great stuff. It is just taxed so high it is not feasible to buy it. No matter how big the evaporator is, you still only get 34 degree air outlet temps with R-134.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
biger with more space and biger the less space should be more the cold in that small space
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i don't know iv got lots of time and tools at my hands iv done went pass the you cant do that and done it iny way and made it work with ever year model of this truck . ill just spend a day at the junk yard playing with year models to make what i wont mixing them all up to make it work .... and when I'm done ill have one mad max truck that's mine with the best part thru the years on my 1991

I agree, bigger is always better, but, when you are talking about refrigerant heat transfer; even if you grafted an entire dual AC unit from a Sienna (with rear air) is still only going to put out 34 degrees F at the vents.