Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I changed my valve cover gasket on 2004 le camry today. I

Customer Question

I changed my valve cover gasket on 2004 le camry today. I disconnected wires to alternator to move wiring harness. At some point electric lead touched something and I got a spark. Valve cover job went fine but now the car won't start. Battery is fine,headlights work,no radio, heater etc.Could I have blown the 120A alternator fuse?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 month ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Yes, most likely that fuse blew when that wire shorted to ground. You can test that fuse if you have a voltmeter. Simply test both ends of fuse and it should have 12 volts on each end.

Larry

Any further questions?

Please let me know either way.

Thanks

LJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you kidding? How am I supposed to test a fuse that i can't take out. If this alternator fuse is blown will it prevent the car from starting.

Yes it will prevent it from starting because its also the main fuse for more than just the alternator. They are tough to remove but thats what it needs.

LJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would I have to get a new fuse at Toyota dealer? Can't seem to find one online Getting that fuse replaced seeks like a bigger job than replacing the valve cover gasket. I should have disconnected the battery,I disconnected the alternator wire just to give myself more room .

Dont beat yourself up too bad, believe me it happens to the best of us, even after 35 years this crap still happens to me. Yes its a fairly big job replacing that fuse. Once you can get to it you can either test it for continuity on both ends or 12 volts on each end. that will tell you for sure its bad but from what you have described thats by far the most common fuse that blows when something gets shorted.

Here is a video but the audio is kinda bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AutPk47lY9A

Best wishes my friend!

Please remember to rate my service and take care.

Larry

Hey there,

Any further questions?

If not please let me know.

LJ