Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Sent my son my 2007 Rav 4 limited (58K miles) in August. Had

Customer Question

Sent my son my 2007 Rav 4 limited (58K miles) in August. Had the car serviced (oil change/filter change/waterpump changed). He just texted me that the check engine light / VSC / 4WD lights are lit up on the dash.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: which one? the check engine one?
JA: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?
Customer: Rav4 Limited
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 Limited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing it just happened. My son is away at college Ft Wayne IN and I'm in California
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's everything...
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome

There are quite a few conditions that can turn the check engine light on, by the way whenever the check engine light turns on first these other lights will turn on also even though there is most likely nothing wrong with them they are disabled while the check engine light is on. The only thing we need to be concerned about at this time is the check engine light, if the car has no drivability issues otherwise the problem may just be emission control related. It could also be related to the recent repairs, the first thing he should do is to take a look under the hood for any hoses that may be disconnected, check to make sure the gas cap is on and tight, check the coolant level.

There are diagnostic codes in the computer and the next step would be to find out what they are, most Aotoparts national chain stores like Autozone, O Reilly and others will check those codes at no charge and give him a print out of the results, this is what I would need so I can determined what the problem may be and how to go about finding a solution

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
According to my son, the car runs fine even with the check engine light on. The car isn't running hot and the gas cap is tight. I'll have him go to the local auto parts chain to see if they can pull the diagnostic codes. Thanks.

Sounds good, when you reply please let me know if it's a 4 cyl or V6, thanks.