Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I drive a 1996 toyota tacoma and it wouldnt start this

Customer Question

Hello i drive a 1996 toyota tacoma and it wouldnt start this morning when i turn the key it sounds like it trys for just a second but is real slow then clicks a bunch of times any help would be great i think i need a new battery have not been replaced for 7 plus years
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

From what you are describing here, it sounds like the battery is going to be the problem. When the engine starts to crank slowly, then turns into rapid clicking, this is the sign of a battery that has less than 12v. The starter needs a full, solid 12v to turn the engine over. You can test this easily by using a volt meter across the battery terminals. I think you will find much less than 12v. Alternatively, most local big-chain parts stores will test batteries for Free. After the battery is replaced, I would recommend that charging system (alternator) be tested to make sure it is charging the battery and not the root of the problem that drained the battery. Once the battery is replaced, most local parts stores will also test the alternator for Free as well. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did replacing the battery solve the problem? Any other questions you had on this issue?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

..