Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My 07 tundra 5.7 occasional will just not start won't do

Customer Question

My 07 tundra 5.7 occasional will just not start won't do anything. New battery and terminals. Tried both keys and just won't do anything but occasionally I can get it neutral and it will start. This doesn't work often. All I do is take the positive cable off the battery for 30 seconds the it will start
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 23 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When the truck does not start, does the engine turn over, or, nothing happens when you turn the key to start? Thanks

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 22 days ago.

Sorry about the delay. If you hear nothing, I would think that the electrical contacts inside the starter are worn out. When the key is turned to start, the action of the key energizes a solenoid, that causes these contacts to touch. The result of the contacts touching sends power to the starter motor which makes it spin the engine. This is not uncommon on these engines. The problem is getting to the starter, as it is installed under the intake manifold, as opposed to more traditional starter placement s( on the side of the engine). Based on experience with this issue, if this vehicle was in the shop, I would be recommending we remove the starter and check the electrical contacts.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I had a starter put on it

Parts store or genuine Toyota reman unit? Parts store starters are notorious for being bad right out of the box. Now, if somebody just installed it, like right before this happened, they forgot to plug the field wire into the starter solenoid.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Toyota parts and this was the reason I had it installed

That leaves us with either a faulty Park/Neutral switch (common), or, much less common, a faulty ST relay (relay panel in the engine compartment). If you pull the ST relay out, with the key in the Start position, you should have power found in 2 of the four sockets on the fuse panel relay slot. A probe for power will tell the rest of the story, assuming the starter is good.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I've thought it was the park switch too because once and a while I can get it to start in nuetral but I had and opportunity to scan it when it messed up there wasn't any codes.
I have also heard that it could be that the keys could be wore out. I do have 300,000 miles mostly city

A faulty park switch may or may not set a code. Key issues (actually immobilizer issues) would cause it to crank and crank, because the immobilizer cuts the fuel. Based on you can get it to start in neutral sometimes, previously, I really think you have a faulty park neutral switch. This is very common. At 300,000 I would not be surprised to see this.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer