Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Will not start - no electrical systems operate - no lights

Customer Question

Will not start - no electrical systems operate - no lights tried jumping it still no power showing
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Drove back from a 400 mile trip, parked it and it was fine until today when I tried to start it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Sequoia limited
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have no mechanic within 60 miles of my home. Only tried to jump it. Noticed that I cannot get it out of park, too
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter or simple 12 V test light to check voltages at specific points? Is there any chance that you may have crossed the terminals or jumped backwards accidentally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a volt meter. The vehicle electrical system was dead before I tried jumping it. No, I did not accidentally cross the jumper cables. When I got back in the truck the next day after my trip and inserted the key in the ignition I noticed that the dash lights were off and that there were no regular noises made by the truck. Is there a fuse that controls the whole electrical system that could have blown?

Yes there is a main fusible link wire but that would be unusual to see it blown. What I need you to do is when you are able take the lid off the fuse box under the hood make sure you have a good ground on your voltmeter preferably at the negative battery cable then use your positive probe to check the voltage of the battery. Make sure you have at least 12.2 V. If not put it on the charger, running voltage test with a low state of charge on the battery will send you on a rabbit trail. Once the battery is fully charged and you know you have good connections at both terminals check to see if you're getting voltage at any the fuses in that fuse box. Simply back probe the little indentations on each fuse to see if you have power on both sides to all of those fuses. Let me know the results of this test. It is possible you could just have high corrosion or a loose connection at the battery terminals check that first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Replaced Positive battery terminal - It started. All is well. Thank you.

You are welcome. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at 3 or higher so that I may be compensated for my help to you today

sorry I forgot to check the button that allows you to rate the exchange. Let me know if you need anything else.