Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

The driver door on my 2001 RAV4 can only be locked from the

Customer Question

The driver door on my 2001 RAV4 can only be locked from the outside with a key. There is no other way this door locks. It opens with the remote but is not locked by the remote or by using the inside lock button next to the door handle. Therefore I cannot lock the driver's door from the inside but every other door will lock. Why is this the only door that fails to lock and how can I fix this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What causes this fault here on one door only is a fault with the door actuator itself.This is part of the drivers door latch itself.This actuates the lock electronically with the remote or with the power lock/unlock button.I have seen this fail several times before with it needing replaced.

The interior door paneling needs removed to access and replace it.The bolts are usually on the outside of the door latch where at the end of the door to remove it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Pete,

I found this video to show me how to get the door panel off for my year of RAV4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbbJqg7CH0

My problem is not the problem of the fact the door will not lock at all as shown in the video. My door just won't lock from the inside using the lock/unlock button or with the remote. You can imagine how I don't feel safe with that situation.

Can you please give me a diagram to show me where the actuator is and tell me how to get to it once I have taken the door panel off?

Thanks,

Fella

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.Here is all of the info I could locate on the door latch replacement,hope it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evb8hslzxf6qv1i/lock-10-03.gif?dl=0

a. Disconnect the link from the door lock.
b. Remove the 5 screws and bolt.
c. w/ Power door lock:
Disconnect the connector.

d. Remove the door lock through the service hole.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I have one last question. Is there any reason for this problem other than electrical failure of the actuator? I ask because this happened once before but the situation was fixed without replacing the actuator.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

The only other issue I can see is damaged wiring inside the door leading to the lock/latch or leading from the body to the door making contact then not making contact causing an intermittent issue but the actuator can act up like this as well intermittently with it needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

And this would make it not possible to manually lock the door from the inside?

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Yes for sure.If the latch/actuator is acting up which it sounds like it is this will cause this fault here.

Thanks Pete