Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

It won't start. Drove it to work one night, got ready to

Customer Question

It won't start. Drove it to work one night, got ready to leave the next morning and it wouldn't start. I"ve had 4 mechanics try to fix it and $1000 later still won't start. I've replaced to many parts on it that if I ever get it started it will be like a new truck.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I will be getting a new battery for it. At the time it did this the battery was fine. It's been a work in progess for almost two years now
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1993 Toyota 4 cyl (standard) pickup
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had 4 mechanics say they could fix it and all the following has been replaced (even though I felt like it was some thing simple) Have replaced the following the fuel pump 3 times fuel filter, ignition control module (which wasn't cheap) new plugs and wires, efi relay and igniter assembly
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It does try to start, but everyone is saying it's not getting fuel, could it be the fuel pump relay and if so, where is it located?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 25 days ago.

It sounds like you have a very complicated situation here. This format is very difficult to give you a definitive answer I can walk you through specific voltage test and check but this will require some electrical knowledge on your part and a good voltmeter. Is this something that you would like to attempt?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No... I don't have a voltmeter. Thanks for your time though

How would you like to proceed? Do you want to close this question out? Can you give me more information exactly what's going on? Does the start and run for a few seconds then die and continue this process?

We could probably get pretty close to what's going on with a simple 12 V test light if you can get one of those? Part of the country do you live in?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I'll just go get a volmeter sometime today and figure things out from there. Would it be helpfully to replace all the fuses and relays?

With four mechanics already looking at it and swapping out lots of parts is not likely they would've overlooked a fuse. I've never had one I couldn't fix and can walk you through some things step-by-step but I need more input. What part of the country do you live in?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Not one of the mechanics mentioned replacing a fuse at all and I was never charged for fuses or replacement of those. I live in Texas

If they left you hung out to dry after they took your money and could not fix this by replacing parts then you will need to go step-by-step with my instructions and checking voltages at specific points to determine what's going on. This could be very time-consuming and may be easily done over the phone.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I'm not in a position right now to do that. What do I need to get to do this and how can I get in touch with you when I get a chance to do this?

When you're ready to proceed simply reply back to this post as you have been doing.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your time. I will bookmark this page.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
how do I end this conversation so I can finish the payment process?

Not sure how it works on your end I think you just log out and then log back in when you're ready to continue.

They simply just make a deposit to your account. Nothing is debited from your account until you apply a rating and were not at that point yet.