Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I turn key, all power and lights engage but nothing from

Customer Question

i turn key , all power and lights engage but nothing from starter
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: in park. i assume it does not have a wheel lock. but not sure
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 05 tundra
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet. and fixing it myself depends on what is wrong
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i had noticed a hesitation when starting. would turn key then 1-2 seconds later the starter would engage. now nothing
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 25 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Assuming that you battery is sufficiently charged, and is capable of delivering all of the volts and amps needed by the starter, issues like this usually point to a faulty set of electrical contacts inside the starter solenoid. On this engine, the starter is located under the intake manifold; this requires removal of the manifold to access the starter. Based on a lot of experience, this really sounds like the starter needs to be removed and the starter solenoid contacts replaced (or the starter replaced if there are any other issues found when it is removed).

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.