Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2013 TUNDRA WITH DEALER INSTALLED TRD SUPPER CHARGER MAKING

Customer Question

2013 TUNDRA WITH DEALER INSTALLED TRD SUPPER CHARGER MAKING A TICK TICK TICK NOISE FROM WHAT SOUNDS LIKE VALVE TRAIN. TOYOTA WANTS 0W-20 SYNTHETIC OIL. I WOULD THINK HAVING FORCED INDUCTION THAT TOYOTA WOULD WANT A THICKER OIL WHAT OIL DO I RUN AND WHATS THE TICK
JA: Have you bought the tires yet?
Customer: 2013 TUNDRA WITH DEALER INSTALLED TRD SUPPER CHARGER MAKING A TICK TICK TICK NOISE FROM WHAT SOUNDS LIKE VALVE TRAIN. TOYOTA WANTS 0W-20 SYNTHETIC OIL. I WOULD THINK HAVING FORCED INDUCTION THAT TOYOTA WOULD WANT A THICKER OIL WHAT OIL DO I RUN AND WHATS THE TICK
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NOTHING
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: WHAT IS THE BEST OIL TO RUN WITH THE CHARGER AND THE TUNDRA WILL SEE WINTER DUTY
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. It is highly recommended that you use 0W-20 Synthetic oil. The main reason for this is that the OW-20 oil is highly manageable when it is used as a hydraulic medium (for the Variable Valve Timing (V V T( actuation). Thicker oil, or conventional fossil fuel oil does not move as quickly and is not a reliable medium to deliver hydraulic pressure like synthetic oil is. That means the V V T will not move the timing on the camshafts if conventional or heavier oil is used. This can cause misfires or excess tailpipe emissions.

The ticking noise could be several things; it would be hard to comment on this accurately without personally listening to the issue with the aid of a mechanical stethoscope. If I were ot venture a GUESS, I would suspect a valve issue, most likely carbon buildup on the faces of the valve and the valve seats. A really good fuel conditioner/cleaner like a product called BG 44-K would be advised before any other invasive diagnosis.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.