Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Just a minute, stand by, 2010 Toyota tundra, lost a/c total

Customer Question

just a minute, stand by
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2010 Toyota tundra, lost a/c total and shift will not come out of park unless I push the emenge button , replaced the a/c control knob assembly, which I did 1 year ago and got the a/c back. did not work this time. I have turned green checkinf fuses and relays, all gook also at the a/c amp the power on two wires pink and red 12 volts is good and the ground is ok. was going to replace the amp,400 bucks, but read on forum another man with the exact same problem, no a/c or shift out of park, when he got to the dealer, parts man told him that only 1 in ten thousand go bad, so he passed. I also remored the blower and it has both 12v and grd coming to it , could not make it run due to the green wire coming from amp I guess, ordered a new one but did not install but it checked just like mine.
JA: Have you bought the tires yet?
Customer: not a tire problem
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: read first statement please
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 25 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like you have 2 different problems. Let's discuss the no shift out of park first. Please chack and see if the brake lights come on when the pedal is depressed. Thanks

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
checked that out and also installed a salvage completer shift unit, in perfect shape, same problem I thought It was two problems until I read on forum that others had the shift and a/c go out at same time, this thing is eat up with sensors modules and etc,
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
A brake switch is cheap, thought about changing it, but the lights are perfect, depends on where the voltage is coming from, was told the light itself
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I will have to call it off for today, after 3 days I am white eyed, but will try your suggestions on Monday or so, thanks

Never heard of this being "common" in 16 years working on Tundras. The brake lights need to work for the vehicle to come out of park. DO the brake lights come on?

And does the AC light flash at the HVAC control panel?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
all three lights come on
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I can make a/c compressor engage with 12 volts direct to it, also I have read about a lock sensor on compressor or in it.

Let's check the 'ECU-IG No. 1' fuse 7.5 amp fuse. second up from the bottom column, right side. If it is blown you have brake lights, not shift out of park and no AC.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have an hour more time today, can you email me I have checked that fuse nine times, even replaced it , do you have a wiring diagram from fuse panel to shifter, floor type.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
There is a solenoid item in the shifter, with 2 gray wires and 2 white I think , is one of those the power
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I will check that sucker one more time, or replace it one, thanks

I will try to upload a schematic to the chat box

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It may have a bad connection or wire, a diagram would help

Here is the diagram you requested

3 wires are power in. You must depress the brake pedal to allow the STP circuit to energize and activate the solenoid.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
do you have the color of these 3 wires,

Please view the diagram I sent. 1 grey 1 grey to red 1 pink

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Chris , thanks for the info, you got me on the right track, that ecu ign1 fuse is good, even tried a second fuse, no luck, the diagram should help, but if you know the wire colors and or where these connectors (I see two) are located that would help, also I see the wire colors changing as it goes, In short I got a bad connection or wire some where, Thanks again and tell me how to release you money with a 10 dollar tip. Tom
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 24 days ago.

I amCustomer My colleague is Chris. You are looking for the wire connectors for which wire? I will get them for you. To conclude this interaction, you must provide a positive rating. After that, a screen will appear that allows you to award a bonus (which I thank you for very much).

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
To Chris Please, back to my problem, still same, the ecu 1 fuse reads 12v on both sides pf fuse, on the output of this fuse panel are several, 8-10 white plug in connectors, I found one on the lower right looking thru the upper dash panel hole, it has a pink, red, green and green/white, if this is the right output, I checked the pink and red with key on, no reading for volts on either one, if this is case, could it be a bad panel, after out last talk, I had thought about just adding a wire with 12v straight to shift unit, now not sure. Could the whole inside fuse panel be bad or this part of it. Don't have much hair left to pull out. thanks tom
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Chris, Monday the 3rd, second email today, so as not to confuse you, it appears to me that I have a serious problem IN the inside of fuse panel, have 12V on each side of fuse, but checking for continuity from fuse/fuse socker around to the output connecter, both to the pins and to the back of plug, I do not have continuity. what do you think, can I run a 12v ignition wire from another fuse,(have some blanks) to the shifter??? at the fuse box output connector, I have a pink , red, light green and a gray, at the shifter, got the same except there is a grd, white/black also. OR do I need to replace the fuse panel, used or new, please advise. thanks tom
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 23 days ago.

Just got your message; let me look at your reply.

Please clarify if this is floor shift or column shift.

if you have a floor shift, with the key in ACC, and the brake pedal depressed, you should have power in three wires in the Shift Lock Solenoid wire connector. If you do not have power at the PINK or GREY wires, run a Key-On hot wire. If you do not have power in the RED wire, run a temporary hot wire to this terminal (strip the Red wire back a bit to feed it power). If the shift interlock operated by spoon feeding power to the red wire, you have a problem in the brake pedal switch or wiring. If you have power in all three wires as described above, the interlock solenoid has failed. The white/black wires are ground wires.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks again, I was tied up on Monday in Shop, will do the wire runs today, Tom
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 22 days ago.

Ok thanks