Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla, a diagnostics check it showed

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla, a diagnostics check it showed a bad oxygen sensor. I never changed it now the engine is shutting down and is now running hot and won't restart. Could a bad sensor give this kind of problem! The antifreeze level is normal.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.

hello, a bad O2 sensor won't cause this kind of problem, does the engine turn over normally but not fire up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My daughter pulled into a parking lot and the car stalled out. One time it cranked over but wouldn't start, she said it was jumped and started. They thought it was the battery went and had battery checked it was ok. They thought the engine was overheating but antifreeze was ok. This car has new radiator, head gasket tuned up water pump. It's been gone over.

Thanks for the reply, do you have access to the car now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No

Will you have access to it soon so I can ask you to check a few things yourself? At this time I don't really know what exactly is going on with it, if the engine doesn't turn over at all there is a loss of power between the battery and the starter, do you know if the dash lights turn on with the key or the headlights work? If the engine does turn over with the key and doesn't fire up I'll go in theat direction I just need to be sure which is the case.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My daughter has the car at her house, and it's midnight and I'm about ready for bed can I reply later when I'm actually with the car?

Yes, that will be ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

Hello, just checking back since have not heard anything , if you have solved the problem we can close this question , if you need additional help please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bad spark plug wires, coolant sensor bad causing in computer causing wrong reading on oxygen sensor. All good

Great, thanks for letting me know.