Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

I have a 2011 toyota highlander that was involved in an

Customer Question

I have a 2011 toyota highlander that was involved in an accident. THe left (Driver) side was damaged and it included replacing the front left strut. I feel they should replace both as one is worn and one not causing a hazardous condition. Am i off base as I have been told?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 22 days ago.

How many miles are on the car? Was the ride up until this point very smooth without any bouncing in the front end? Is there any leaking from the right front strut that was not damaged?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
93,000 yes very smooth
Hit cement piece of sidewalk curb in road rebar punctured tire and caused damage
Insurance only wants to replace one strut but it's a front wheel drive the ride needs to be even in my opinion I would consider this a safety issue

Generally speaking it's recommended to replace struts in pairs. However the only difference that would be in your situation where the ride is normal and not bouncy and there's no leaking from the right strut. If they are using a Toyota strut you should be fine just replacing the one. However if they are using an aftermarket strut this becomes a problem because they're not built the same as the Toyota struts and the ride quality will suffer. Most insurance companies will not replace the other side due to ride quality or issues like that you're barking up the wrong tree dealing with this insurance company to get them to replace the other strut. Just make sure the strut that was damaged is replaced by factory Toyota strut. They'll probably cry about that too because they're not cheap.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
In your opinion should I replace both even if it's out of pocket?
Bought new tires and need this vehicle to last not to mention I have small children and this is our only source of transportation

If there's no leaking from the right front strut in the ride has been top-notch personally if it was my vehicle I would not spend the money. But I more frugal than most. If you want to spend the extra $250-$350 to have the strut replaced by the dealer so that it matches the new Toyota strut and is not going to set you back then you know from the get-go both are brand-new and have the alignment done and you won't have any worries for another 150,000 miles.