Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

IT started last week, It Will just stall All of a sudden, We

Customer Question

IT started last week, It Will just stall All of a sudden, We waited about 30 minutes AND It started again. It has been doing It For about 3 days, then yestarday It just does On me right before I got Home. This time I boíl not get It To start. It does Crank , It just doesnt feel like the fuel Is being supplied To the motor. Dont Know what It could be. Please help
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: I have not, I just changed the radiador yestarday, because It was leakinkg, AND I drive It For about 15 miles before It stall ed On me. I thought that the Engineer was overhead inglés AND shutting down due To the copla y not being there. But aparently that was not It.
JA: What is the model of your '15 Toyota?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: LE 4 Cyl
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The engine got replaced about a Year ago , AND after that the car just doesnt drive as smooth as It just to, It has some kind of rattling AND It feels rough When It runs, It has Lots of Power do!
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Is this a corolla or Camry LE 4cyl?May I ask a couple of thins to get a picture how to best help you. how mechanically inclined are you and are you capable of doing some tests and checks like fuel pressure tests and electrical tests? Because we need to see if you are getting fuel and at the proper pressures. Also to do a compression test to eliminate any mechanical issues, also a scan or code read to eliminate electrical and sensor problems

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I am Very good Fixing things myself, I do not have a code scaner but My Friend has one. As far as checking the pressure pn the fuel, that was My next step, I have seen the vídeo AND I can do It

Great lets do those two things first and get back to me and we can go further. Ill be out for a bit but will get back to you after you send me your results.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It May be tomorrow before I get With you, please let me know specifics On Where To Check the pressure
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Where do I need To Check On the electrical?

do the scan code read and fuel pressuer tests first lets eliminate those two items first.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok Sir. I Will do that today and Will get back With you in the Morning

To check the fuel pressure , do that where the pressure line goes into the fuel rail

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Mr. Peter. I have checked the pressure on the main Fuel Line, and there is no pressure on the Gauge, also checked the Fuse and the Relay, Both of them are good, I have not put the scanner on it yet. Do you think I still need to do that? or should I go for replacing the Fuel Pump. Or is there any more testing that I can do to make sure am on the right track to replace the right part. Let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 27 days ago.

Thanx for getting back to me with that info, If you have no fuel pressure then we need to find out why and address that first , this may be all your problems.This is what to do next, turn the key to on and see if you can heat the fuel pump running, if not then try jumping the fuel relay if that triggers it to run. If you don't hear it at all then you need to access the top of the fuel tank under the pass seat to check for power at the fuel pump connector.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. I will do that Sir. Thanks

will be here tomorrow to see how your doing

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks Sir. I will get back with you. Tomorrow

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Mr. Peter. I have been able to verify that the pump works, it does want to start, and I can hear the pump as soon as I turn the ignition on. we have used the scanner and these are the codes we get. P0420, & P0117. Please advise. Thanks Sir.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Also. there was a couple times that you could actually feel like it wa srunning just for a few seconds. it started for a few seconds and died again.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 26 days ago.

here is the explanation for code P0420

P0420 TOYOTA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

Possible causes- Three way catalyst converter Bank 1- Exhaust tube- Intake air leaks- Fuel injectors may be faulty- Fuel injector leaks- Spark plugs may be faulty- Improper ignition timing- Engine Control Module (ECM)

Tech notes; As the code description implies the P0420 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0420 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

When is the code detected?- Three way catalytic converter Bank 1 does not operate properly.- Three way catalyst converter Bank 1 does not have enough oxygen storage capacity.

Possible symptoms- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

P0420 Toyota Description The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

Here is the description for code; P0117

P0117 ECT Circuit Low Input

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Low Input

The ECT (Engine coolant temperature) sensor is a thermistor located in the engine block or other coolant passage. It changes resistance with changes in temperature of the coolant that it's in contact with. It's usually a two wire sensor. One wire is a 5 volt reference from PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and the other is a ground supplied from PCM.As the temperature of the coolant changes, the resistance of the sensor changes. When the engine is cold, the resistance is high. When the engine is warm, the resistance is low. If the PCM detects a signal voltage lower than the normal operating range of the sensor then P0117 code will set.

Potential symptoms include: MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) illumination Poor fuel economy Poor drivability Engine may run rough or blow black smoke out the tailpipe May not idle May start and then die

Potential causes of the P0117 code include: Bad ECT sensor Short to ground on ECT signal circuit Faulty or damaged connectors Wiring harness damaged Loose terminals at ECT or PCM POSSIBLY an overheated engine Bad PCM

Possible Solutions Since this code is for an abnormally low signal to the PCM from the ECT, the PCM saw a excessively "hot" condition in the engine coolant. This could be due to faulty ECT sensor or wiring, but it could, conceivably, be caused by an overheated engine.So if your engine was overheated diagnose that first. Having said that here are the possible solutions:Using a scan tool, with KOEO (Key on engine off) check the ECT reading on the display. On a cold engine the ECT reading should match the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor reading. If it doesn't, replace the ECT sensor.1. If the ECT reading is showing an excessively hot reading, for example more than 260 deg. F, then unplug the ECT sensor. This should cause the ECT reading to drop to the extreme cold reading (around -30 deg.F or so). If it does, replace the sensor, because it's internally shorted. If it doesn't change the reading, the check for a short to ground on the signal circuit of the ECT wiring. It could be that the two ECT wires are shorted to each other. Look for any chafing or melted wiring. Repair as necessary.a. If you can't find any wiring problems and the ECT reading doesn't drop to the extreme coldest when unplugged, then, check for voltage coming out of the PCM on the signal wire's pin at the PCM connector. If there isn't any voltage, or it is low, then the PCM may be bad. NOTE: On some models it is possible for the 5 Volt reference signal to be temperarily shorted. This can happen if an engine sensor internally shorts the 5 Volt reference. Since the 5 Volt reference is a "shared" circuit on many models, this will cause it to be abnormally low. Usually, though this will be accompanied by several other sensor codes. If you suspect that may be the case, unplug each sensor until the 5 Volt reference reappears. The last sensor unplugged is the offending sensor. Replace and recheck the signal wire from the PCM connector2. If the scan tool ECT reading seems normal at this time then the problem may be intermittent. Use a "wiggle" test to manipulate the wiring harness and connectors while watching the ECT reading on the scan tool. Repair any wiring or connectors that are loose or corroded. You could check the Freeze frame data if your scan tool has that function. It will show the ECT reading when the failure occurred. If it shows the reading to be at the hottest extreme then replace the ECT sensor and see if the code reappears.

now did you have to bypass the fuel relay to get the pump tp work?is there pressure on the fuel gauge now at the rails?

here is a pic of that temp sensor

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have not done that yet, will do that next

good let me know what you find