K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

My '83 model Toyota 4x4 22r engine with exterior regulator

Customer Question

My '83 model Toyota 4x4 22r engine with exterior regulator will not charge. I have put three alternators, one lasted about a month, the next one a little over a week, and today I replaced it again and it won't charge. I have removed and cleaned all ground wires one engine, frame and body. What can it be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, have you replaced the regulator?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I just took it to a mechanic who used to work at Toyota yrs ago. He had a tester for the pre '84 yotas and that is what is wrong. Parts house tester kept saying it was alternator. They kept giving me free alternators, (lifetime warranty), I wanted it fixed.
Thank you

Glad you got it striaghtened out. Those trucks are pretty trouble free.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Well, it seems that is not the sole problem. Now I am getting intermittent power from the alternator. I put regulator on; and started engine and after few seconds the light went out and staid out. Then 20 min later I went to drive away (75mile trip); the light stayed on. With it running, I unplugged regulator. When I did so, a large spark shot out like it was carrying a load, and the engine idle speed increased (Light stayed on); plugged it back in, engine speed did not change, no spark and light continued on. I proceeded on trip, 1/2 mile down road light went out. However I was smelling a strong burning wire smell. Pulled over, could not find any damaged wires or source of smell; continued on trip. 60 miles down road, stopped for bag of ice, left engine running to hopefully not disturb charging, however got back in truck and light was on again. Proceeded on trip as dark was approaching, when it baca me too dark to drive w/out headlights, I would turn them on when approaching curves or hills, (I was traveling country roads). Last couple miles in heavy woods had to run headlights, they were very dim.
This am put big battery charger on high for 30 mins, then med for 30 min; started truck w charger on, light was off. Had to drive to town (8mi one way) light never went off this time I started, made three stops and light never went out every time I started or stopped.
Now, back to square one; don't know what to do.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 29 days ago.

With light staying on now we now either the alternator or regulator has failed. I would pull alternator and have it retested. IF it passes replace regulator, but inspect all wiring from alternator to regulator for any kind of chaffing that may be causing a short. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I appreciate your response. However, I'm finding this confusing. Maybe I'm too logical, I don't understand this repeatedly happening with out cause. I am in remote area, small town, none of these parts are kept in stock and have to be ordered and I have to bring back out here and wait for it to cool off, etc.. I know my difficulty has no affect on the problem. However, I can't understand there not being a cause.
Thank you

I understand about living in a rural area and waiting on parts. IT's possible the regulator shorted out and took out the alternator or the alternator just went bad and the regulator is fine. In the first case the wiring needs to be checked for shorts to ground.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok. Thank you

You're welcome, let me know how things go