Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 02 Sequoia with the VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, BRAKE and

Customer Question

I have a 02 Sequoia with the VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, BRAKE and ABS light on. Codes are C1241 C0226 C1203 C1223 C1360
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 2 months ago.

Can I have the Sequoia's VIN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5tdbt48a62s126514

One sec...

Ok, just had to double check so I wasn't going completely from memory. Those codes are quite common on the 02,03,04 Sequoia, the only fix is to replace the Skid Control ECU and the Master Cylinder.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What ECU is it the ABS, main ECU, YAW, The VSC or the Translator
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 months ago.

I see that you requested a second opinion or expert. If you clear all these codes and drive the vehicle is there any one particular code that comes back before the others on one or two drive cycles?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
C0226 c1203 c1223
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You are the one I tried to request from the start.
Also I can not get 2 of the codes to clear with a reader

The question popped up on the board that you were requesting a second opinion from another expert besides the guy that is known as your Toyota guy that previously replied to you. Checking a few things now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was requesting a different expert

First of all the primary malfunctions here are the C0226 code which means there is a solenoid faulted the ABS actuator itself. The computer runs a self test to check on the solenoids when the system is operating and it's not responding or performing the way it's designed to in the computer logic. Normally that is a deathknell for the ABS actuator assembly itself. The other codes you have 1203 and 1223 or just communications errors whenever you have a malfunction in the ABS actuator the other subsystems cannot communicate with the ABS ECU solicits these codes. My other concern is that you have a C1360 code. This code indicates that at one point there was a problem with the voltage response back from the master cylinder pressure sensor. There are two of them on this master cylinder. They are very expensive in the neighborhood of $200 apiece. Because they code is not coming back it's possible you could have an intermittent problem with those sensors. That may be why the other expert recommended replacing the master cylinder. There are two of these located on the bottom side the master cylinder you either have to check them with the scan tool while depressing the brake pedal or a voltmeter monitoring the voltage fluctuations as you apply more and more pressure on the brake master cylinder. Code number 1241 that you have in the case that somewhere along the line there was a power loss to the ABS actuator. When this happens you can set other false codes. Before you replace the ABS actuator and master cylinder pressure sensors or the master cylinder itself I would confirm that the IG1 input to the ABS actuator is not losing 12 V. You need a wiring diagram and a good voltmeter to get into testing that when the problem occurs. Because the code C0226 will not clear that means there is a fault in the ABS actuator solenoid logic or solenoid.. This is probably why the first expert suggested replacing the ABS actuator assembly. More than likely that will have to be done but I never do that until proper voltage testing is done which can be quite extensive. The other expert is accurate in stating that the years he indicated had issues with this system. They were hard to work on and diagnose and multiple issues. I've seen everything from bad actuators to poor grounding or the actuator solenoid pump and so on.