Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I own Dons High tech,i have 2004 Toyota tundra stalls when

Customer Question

my name is***** own Dons High tech,i have 2004 Toyota tundra stalls when cold if you leave throttle down motor will quite,but intermittent at times a other shop replace both upstream 0/2 senors customer is saying that is when problem started the other shop also replaced Mass air flow,i tried replacing new sensors with the old ones started 2 times and then returned to stall,fuel pressure at pump blanked is 90 psi i squeezed off fuel return line again started and run fine 2 tryes and back to stall,coolant temp operates normal,mass air flow shows air moving throw it,the test for 0/2 sensor heater shows fail, i tested bank 2 sensor on has 12 volts and -from ecm, to day after setting all Sunday started and run fine.i have had my own shop for 35 years i use snap-on Versus scan tool,i think ECM is bad,I would like your feed back thanks for any help Don
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: i wanted to check fuel,presure at engine fuel line are in bad shape cannot get hooked up,fuel rail looks ok i wound not think it could be plugged i did renew filter,i think i need to cut the lines and renew so i can get a reading,the only thing after a 5or ten mins runs fine
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my text above i said i was a shop owner,fixing for some one else also what i have tryed is also their
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i have used just answer in the past
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you see what i wrote about truck i am working on
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Yes Sir! Does the fuel pressure leak down with the engine off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it does not,
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Ok, good

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Does this engine have drive by wire on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have it is so temperature is you let it idle for 5to10 mins runs fine and other times like to day working fine start up tonight and you cannot get it to hardly move,it did have code po171 store but never came back,i use snap-on Versus scan tool i can not see anything in the numbers and as bad as it is why does it not code
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Did you disconnect the battery cables to clear the memory in the computer? It may just need to be reset. If so and the problem continues, the throttle body assembly may need to be replaced provided there are no air or vacuum leaks. Have you done a smoke test to the intake system? If not, this needs to be done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will clear memory,i can smoke test but idle is normal i would think if i had a leak idle would be high
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

It depends on the side of the vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
agree i will be in touck
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
i did disconnect battery,and smoke test was ok.i had to move out of shop after that for other work but i tried each morning and evening each time i tried worked fine last night took on 10 mile test drive worked fine,today at 8am engine will not speed up past a idle,if you keep the pedal down i can hear a slight back fire in the air filter box i have not checked for plunged exhaust,any other ideas would be appreciated, thanks Don
Expert:  Amedee replied 30 days ago.

Hi Don!

Provided the new mass air flow sensor si good, the air intake snorkle is not cracked or ripped and the valve timing is right on the mark, it sounds like low fuel pressure or plugged exhaust causing this issue.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
disappointed, no technical info at all just guess,i do not believe you even read what i say i do or test,i will get this truck fixed Don
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i think i need a refund,
Expert:  Amedee replied 25 days ago.

You can do that on your end.