Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech

Recently did an oil change on my 2012 Toyota Highlander.

Customer Question

Recently did an oil change on my 2012 Toyota Highlander. Drove it about 50 miles and then low oil pressure came on. After this a few minutes after it shut off. I pulled the vehicle behind another with a rope about 1 mile. The car will not start. Now a "break malfunction" comes on when I turn the ignition.
Any thoughts?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 25 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** the engine crank when you try starting it? Does it do nothing at all?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
When I try starting it cranks but does not start.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 25 days ago.

Thank you. Have you checked the oil level? Was it low? Does the engine sound like it is cranking over faster than normal? Is this a 4 cylinder model?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The oil level is fine
It cranks normal
And no it's a 6 cylinder
Expert:  Fixitman replied 25 days ago.

Thank you. Most of the time this occurs from a voltage issue. I would definitely make sure that the battery is fully charged and that the battery terminals are clean and tight. Do you have a scan tool to scan the computer for codes and to check some of the sensor data?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I was mistaken about the cranking. When turning the ignition the engine does not crank. It only makes a click sound.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 25 days ago.

Thank you. That changes things. Since the oil light came on you need to see if you can crank the engine over by hand at the crank pulley. If you cannot then the engine has seized. If you can then definitely check the battery and the connections at the battery as it may be the problem or it may have been the alternator.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
given that something that went wrong with the oil change is what caused this problem. What could have caused the low oil pressure and what explains the break malfunction light now?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 25 days ago.

The brake malfunction can just be from the lack of the vehicle starting. This will occur if there is not a high amount of voltage going to the brake module. As far as the oil change, yes, something may have gone wrong of the engine is seized.