Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1998 toyota tacoma sr5 4x4 4cyl. I did someting stupid and

Customer Question

1998 toyota tacoma sr5 4x4 4cyl. I did someting stupid and cut the factory raido wires and now I have power but I can not start the truck. It is like the starter went out but it was fine before i did the stupid act and all fuses are good.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. sorry to hear of your problem but we may be able to help you. did you check all the fuses by that I mean even the ones under the hood , every one fails to check the high amperes ones as well as any fuse able links.I'm sure if you carefully check the m you will find your problem . no that wouldn't do anything to the starter . I'll send you some links and or pics what to check give me a min.Hope this helps and be more careful next time lol.good luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did check them. And their all fine. is there a link from the bat to the starter?

did you have the battery hooked up or disconnected before you cut the wires? does that radio have antitheft protection built in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the cables were hooked up. thought i could do it like the older chevys. and its a old tape player style I dont think so the compasitors were swelled is the whole reason for this.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Opon inspection of the factory raido the compasters swelled and burst.

this don't make sense , for instance if anything shorting out the radio wires would just blow the radio fuse because it is a litter circuit to short out anything else it would melt wires. also was this radio original and plunged into the harness or was it spliced into the harness? I think you have other issues rather then the radio. try checking the battery connections clean? tight? You didn't answer if that radio had theft deter ant or not ? TRY THIS , TURN YOUR HEAD LIGHTS ON AND TRY TO START THE VEHICLE AND SEE IF THEY DIM OR STAY BRIGHT.

HOPE YOU CHECKED THE FUSES WITH A CIRCUIT TESTER NOT JUST LOOKING AT THEM?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They go dim like its trying to start but the relay just clicks. It tripped the radio fuse twice.yes it was the factory radio and it was pluged in to the harness and I did Im a ASE OTR Tractor mechanic i have no clue on the autos.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you can talk mechanic talk with me I will under stand it. lol

LOL THAT'S OK i WAS BROUGHT UP ON A FARM SO THAT'S WHERE i GOT MY START. Had to fix our own too . any way that puts a hole new perspective on the picture do you want to do the phone thing or continue on here ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we can go on here. I went to Nashville auto diesel college and all i studied was diesel toyota is something new to me

well I was a Toyota master tech since 77 and in the trade for 46 years and a farmer for 30 lol. counting the notches on my pistol lol. any way if you hear a click when trying to start that can be one of two things the relay itself sticking or the solenoid on the starter acting up which at the age and mileage of your vehicle is common. so we can eliminate this . yOU MUST BE GETTING THE IGN SIGNAL TO THE RELAY OR YOU WOULDN'T GET A CLICK SO PULL OUT THE RELAY AND JUMP IT BYPASSING IT IF IT STARTS THEN THE RELAY IS FAULTY , BUT IF IT STILL CLICKS THEN MOST LIKELY THE STARTER SOLENOID.IS THE BATTERY UP AND GOOD ?I believe this is where your problem is and just happens to be a quintessential to your little episode with the radio. So do those tests, procedures and get back with me tomorrow I need my beauty sleep,lol. If that's ok can you do a starter draw test on it if need be? talk tomorrow gn.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I have to work from 2:30 pm est to 9:30 est, so I will try that..have a good one
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What pins do I need to jump and I will try that now

here is a test for the relay itself . this is not you axact vehicle but same procedure to check yours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWbZmi-Wsac to jump the relay or starter with relay removed you have to be careful not to blow the starter or ign fuse. so use a circuit tester to locate the pins you need to bridge. checking the terminals one will be pwered all the time that one is the one you need to bridge to the starter wire. the other one only powers up when you turn ign switch to start not hat one and the other will be a ground circuit not that one you can check for the ground one with the circuit tester attach to body ground and check terminal with ohms or ground tester. Usually the terminals to be jumped are across from one another. so there you go and if it cranks then replace the relay if not it's the starter. one other thing is you can test for voltage at the starter having some one turn to start and using a volt meter there should be power or 12v on the heavy starter cable attached to the starter. disconnect the small connector from the starter solenoid and when you turn the key to start you should have 12v there . you will need someone to turn the key when you do those tests. Hope this gets you going and you are able to do those tests to locate your issue .If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. If your happy with my answer please rate it.thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay so I tested the relay and found that it was bad....well I jumped the terminal just to make sure that my starter was good...well it is...I replaced the relay and still nothing. I think my truck is eating the relays. What should I do next?

Ok when you jumped the relay the starter turned? also make sure you are getting power to the relay when turning the key on and off there will be a terminal that powers up only when key is in start position. do that and tell me what happens

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With the key on there is only one terminal that is working. This terminal is hot with the key on or off. Should there two that is hot when the key is on? If needed I can take a picture of that I'm doing to start it if you like

as previously stated there should be one with power all the time and one that comes on with the key, the relay is what you would call an electrical switch using a low amp circuit to connect a high amp circuit. So now you need to check your fuses inside the cab , ign fuse etc . check them with a test light on both sides of the fuse.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did and it's good.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Power on both sides

Isn't this fun lol ? ok that's good , now you have to pull the A/C switch out and check for voltage on one side should be constant with ign in on position and when A/C switch is activated should have two terminals with voltage.