Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I'm thinking of buying an 08 Sequoia with 150,000 miles,

Customer Question

I'm thinking of buying an 08 Sequoia with 150,000 miles, I've driven it several times and the only thing that keeps me form buying it is the ride is rougher than my 02 Yukon Denali.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: You don't understand, I love the ride on the Yukon. I wish the ride on the Sequoia were as good.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just want to know if it is able to soften the ride.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Sorry for the delay, I just received your request. When it comes to ride quality, I agree, the Yukon Denali rides better. This is because of the design of the suspension and drivetrain. The mot obvious thing to note is the major difference in the rear end/differential between the Denali and the Sequoia. The Sequoia rear end/differential is based right off of the Tundra platform. That means a traditional real axle assembly, where the differential is in the center of a housing, and the axles pass thru tubes leading to the rear wheels. This entire thing is connects to the body via leaf springs. The Denali, on the other hand, has an 'independent' rear suspension, much like a car. The rear end treatment on the Denali differs, as it incorporates coil springs instead of traditional leaf springs. There is no question that an independent rear suspension rides 'better'. It also handles better. The trade off is the independent rear end is not as strong as a traditional 'truck' rear suspension as found on the Tundra/Sequoia. "Softening" the Sequoia ride will be rather difficult. The first thing would have to be less stiff rear springs, and softer rear shock absorbers. If this was done, you would most likely find that the rear of the vehicle became unnervingly 'bouncy', and the ride quality would be horrible. Sadly, based on the two different designs, the Denali is the better choice when it comes to a 'nice ride', but, the Sequoia is much stronger and more reliable. I wish I had a better solution for you, but it is my job to give you the best information I can. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm you have received my input. Thanks.