Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have scalloping on the inside tread of both rear tires.

Customer Question

I have scalloping on the inside tread of both rear tires. Could I dismount and switch sides to keep the same rotation direction? Tire dealers and alignment techs tell me this is a chronic problem that I have to live with. BTW these tires otherwise look brand new.
JA: Have you bought the tires yet?
Customer: I'm on my third set in four years.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2005 Rav4L
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, having it done. Have had 4-wheel alignment with each new set of tires. Currently Uniroyal Tiger Paws.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm told that the negative camber or whatever is built-in for performance reasons. Not sure how much of this is bs...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcoem to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Your tire dealers and "alignnments techs" are grossly wrong.You do NOT have to live with this. You have an incorrect toe-in setting at the rear end, the rear suspension bars are rusted (there is a recall on this, call your dealer to see if your vehicle is involved), or the rear tracking is off (a frame shop would be able to determine this. You should only see scalloping only on the front tires (because they turn); never on the rear tires if the parts are good and the alignment is set correctly.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.