Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

2004 matrix with 35,000 miles will not go into gear. It

Customer Question

2004 matrix with 35,000 miles will not go into gear. It shifts at lever but transmission does not go into gear. Acts like it is in neutral although shift lever indicator says in gear. So of course cannot move car.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: somewhat reddish
JA: Are you fixing your Matrix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only tried manually shifting from transmission. I won't be fixing it myself unless veyr easy to do.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 29 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to ***** allow me to assist you. Experience with this issue leads me to believe that you have a broken or loose shift cable at the place where it attaches on the transaxle. This condition would allow the vehicle to not go into gear, although the shift indicator shows it in gear. That would be the first place I would look, the pivot on the front of the transaxle where the cable connects. Note: If the cable is loose or disconnected, this is a very difficult repair if you do not have the means to raise the vehicle up on a hoist.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm you have received my input today. Thanks

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The cable is attached to the pivot and moves it when you shift so I think it is something else.

If your cable moves the pivot, and the pivot is moving the arm, I suspect you have a hydraulic issue. Please check the color of the transmission fluid and then check the odor. It should be a clear pink, not black or brown, and should smell like oil; not burnt.