Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Battery went dead on 2001 Toyota Sequoia so I had to unlock

Customer Question

Battery went dead on 2001 Toyota Sequoia so I had to unlock the door with ket instead of fob. When I jumped it the alarm went off. I disconnected the horns to save my ears but the car would not start. I charged the battery so now the fob works but security system is activated. The engine will turn over but won't start and the gauges are not working. Security light is lit when the key is in. HELP!! How do I reset the security system?
Thanks,
Dave
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. you may have blown a fuse or a high amp fuse when you jumped itso check all fuses especially the large square ones under the hood in the fuse blocks eg; alt and main fuses . it's quite normal for the alarm to go off after a new battery is installed or a bad battery is present as all computers ( garbage in garbage out) so after you replace the battery and if alarm goes off hold the fob on close for a few seconds that should reset it. Hope this gives you some direction to go to resolve your issue Try just putting the key in the ignition in the "ON" position then hooking up the battery.

If that doesn't work then try cycling the key between off and on (not start) 5 times.

If that doesn't work then make sure all doors are closed and unlocked before disconnecting and closed and unlocked before reconnecting.