Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

1995 Toyota Tacoma no or hard start after hot soak on hot

Customer Question

1995 Toyota Tacoma no or hard start after hot soak on hot days 333.000 mi
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.Just a few questions to get a good picture of what I'm dealing with. how hot is the temp when this happens, what grade od fuel you using, how old is the battery and how long ago have you had the tune up done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi peter this no start happens 85 degr weather in nm .as a mechanic for over 40 jears I was asked to look for the problem after othter mechnics did not fix it. the truck has a new delfhi fuel pump. it cranks good and it feels like it is not getting enough fuel to the injectors. i after the 10 at will srart when I sray carb cleaner in to the can also sometimes start after 10 min.and then not start after a second try (2 min )I red about same problems with toy. trucks with over 250.000 mi ( 333000 on this )

good for you surviving the trade that long I just retired this Feb my self but still like to get my hands dirty between fishing lol. What we found if it is heat soak related is a couple of things to try and both are fuel related. the high heat creates air or vapors forming in the fuel system and the things you can try are going to a higher octane in these hotter days also using a good octane booster . also in some cases picking up some bad or stale fuel can do this as well as moisture in the system. so there are a few options you may try to address the problem and from what you describe that may be the issue. also check your battery for reserve power when hot while cranking do a load test and starter draw test on it. Hope this gives you some things ti try and resove your issue and if you rquire further assistance I;ll be happy to do so. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi peter my friend /customer has tried top grade fuels and sais no difference she also sais the problem has gotten more consistend. I red about temp fixes by disconnecting intake air sensor.makes it start.but eng. lights up. hate too bug you but wat do jou think abAout resistance change(with higher temp )on the A I S circuit . also the starter circuit checked out OK.And why thi problem after 250000 miles Hans.

yea disconnecting sensors does that and more, makes the engine run in fail safe .For the price of that sensor you can replace it it may have lost some of it's value over the years. also the air flow sensor has a built in thermistor in it which can act up , you can try cleaning it but if that don't work try another. I sent you a link on cleaning the air flow sensor'

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi peter some people I red about (5) have changed AIS and MAF sensors, and or cleaned them,and still no fix.Some guy s even rerouted the air intake snorkel , looking for cooler air to enter the air filter box, no fix.I<am thinking wire resistance change to ECM and or main EFI relay, and not opening the injectors.I am sure you remember some VW / AUDI s with intermittend fuel injector relay,in the fusebox Thans Hans.

ok I did more research on this ans have a few things you can try. lets try a phone chat might be easier to work out. up to you.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 30 days ago.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi Peter . sound great to talk on the phone. Iam not to worried about the starting broblem, but now I am curius. I do not try to make this hard on you, but I think we both do not need more practice or start trowing parts at this truck,wich at 333000 mi survived the J yard. Call Hans at(###) ###-#### or E Mail at***@******.***
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 29 days ago.

just sent you some info via e mail and phone good luck and cheers.