Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My key won't turn past acc. This has been going on for a

Customer Question

My key won't turn past acc. This has been going on for a while. At first using the spare fixed the problems but now no keys work and the car is unusable.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: They key is an almost new spare only a couple months old. I can turn the steering wheel just fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2003 camry
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, got a quote from a mechanic to replace the ignition but nothing has been done yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just that we made two copies of the old spare, each one worked for a while then stopped working.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for posting

the lock cylinder is most likely worn and needs to be replaced, it comes with new keys, the cylinder can be replaced by putting the key in the ACC position, the pushing the release pin in on the housing, you will have to remove the plastic covers around the steering column to get to the release pin, if you are going to do this yourself please let me know if you need more detailed instructions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where exactly is the release pin?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if I take the whole lock cylinder to a mechanic to get it replaced, is it easy to RE-install the new cylinder myself?

The release pin is in a small hole in the housing where cylinder goes, it should be on the bottom of the housing, if you get the new cylinder you can see where the pin is, as I already said the plastic covers just below the steering wheel have to be removed, once the cylinder is out it's just a matter of pushing the new cylinder in with the key in the acc position, the keys that come with will only work in the ignition not the other locks on the car, if you want to have a key to work with the ignition and all the other locks you will need to have the lock 're keyed' so it will do that, this involves taking the cylinder apart to change the tumblers inside, if you don't mind having a separate key for the door locks you can save some money and just put in the new cylinder.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm trying to get the cylinder out and I'm having trouble. Should it pop out or will I have to pull it? Do these screws have to be removed? Third picture is view from the bottom, that hole is the release pin correct?

Hello, the screw holds the illumination fixture for the key it does not need to be removed, to get the cylinder out put the key into the ACC position, depress the pin in the hole and pull it out, refer to the attached illustration (link) for the pin location

10440d70-9436-4a17-8c7e-fcd145f005ba_$_57.jpg