Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

About once a week the doors on my 2012 Highlander will not

Customer Question

About once a week the doors on my 2012 Highlander will not open. Happened twice in the last 3 days. When you touch the handle or the key fob it just beeps continuously like when you try to lock when a door is open. Sometimes the driver door will open, mostly you have to use the key, and you cannot use the unlock button on the driver or passenger doors to open the other doors, they have to be manually opened.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes, replaced batteries on both fobs.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, just started researching it. Closest Toyota dealer is 60 miles and it didn't do it when I took it to them.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 28 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 24 days ago.

One possible cause for this is the module that controls the keyless entry key fobs and another is a concern with the door ajar sensors. Can you do electrical diag?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
we can do some diagnosis

Do you get the same results from both fobs?

Once unlocked and open with the key your saying the power door lock switch will not unlock the other doors?

When this occurs and you start it, does it crank slow or normal?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Crank is normal. Starting to not unlock when the car is put in park and you turn off the engine
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Only the driver door unlocks when put into park.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
the door switch doesn't unlock
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I have to go out now will continue later

Here is your wire diagram

Does your vehicle have the smart key setup?

Is the vehicle a hybrid?

When inside the vehicle with it running, which door locks will not work from which door switches?

Later is fine.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
smartkey, no hybrid, all doors lock from both switches, but only the driver unlocks from driver's door. Only driver's door unlocks from passenger's switch
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Back at home, what next?l

Based on the other doors not unlocking from the power door lock switch. This would be a failure of the main body ECU. Since the doors will lock this confirms the wiring and lock actuators are fine.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
What is that and can I replacE it

It is the vehicles computer that controls electronic features. You can replace it yourself if you have a dealer equivalent scan tool for programming the replacement.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
basically s o l

If you were hoping to be able to address this DIY without the special tools, then unfortunately yes. I wish I had control over that, but I do not.