Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Coolant leaking. had slow leak no problem Gargare presurized

Customer Question

coolant leaking. had slow leak no problem Gargare presurized it said leak in heater box not worth fixing. When I left cooland was empayt car overheated in 10-15 mins. Never happened before. Gartage said try bleeding the system but dont know where the valve is or if this is the problem 97 Landcruiser Help appreciated. Love the truck
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: hoses could be 5-8 yrs. Using pre mix of 50/50
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its a toyota landcruiser 97. Havent tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

They are actually self bleeding. Does the coolant seem to spew out when filling it with the engine warmed up and running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
dont see it spewing when engine is idling
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it will fill noirmally and level is stable.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have seen it dripping in front of engine

I see, thanks. Does it overheat at idle or just when driving?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was going to try that today at idle and see what comes out where or what
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can I get back in touch when this is done?

Sure can, thanks

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. Do you have experience with the 97

Yes I sure do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
great. What are some of the things I might want to do now to help diagnose the problem

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

..

Just checking to see if you had found the problem with the overheating.