K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

I am replacing my timing chain guide as the engine was

Customer Question

i am replacing my timing chain guide as the engine was making a noise that sounded like the chain was slapping but i also want ensure that the engine itself hasn't slipped time. Also i removed the chain tensioner and camshaft pulley prior to getting to TDC. Will this pose a problem?
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: i think around 80,000. unfortunately i haven't driven it just turned it on long enough to hear the engine. Its actually a friend of mine's car and i am trying to work on it and fix the noise.
JA: What year is your MiniE?
Customer: 2004 celiica with a 1zzfe engine
JA: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am trying to fix it myself. I was told by several people that the sound was a loose timing chain. So I have just gotten everything apart, and the cover off . Honestly i haven't really tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, with the chain being taken off without the marks being lined up you will need to remove the cams so you can rotate the crank to the tdc mark without hitting the valves with the pistons.

Once the crank is at the TDC mark you can drop the cams back in on the alignment marks and install the chain. I'll post info for this below for you.