Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

ABS light came on and then battery light. instrument panel

Customer Question

ABS light came on and then battery light. instrument panel light began to flicker and speedometer went to 0. This continued for 3 - 4 minutes and a bell sounded and everything came back on and no more problem.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: No. ABS light and battery light. Forgot to mention maintenance due light as service is due in 500 miles.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2007 Camry XLE
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I have had all my work done by Toyota dealer but is 30 miles away and don't know if I should take it to a local garage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 28 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A local garage can check this, if they have an alternator/charging system test tool. The test tool needs to be able to detect the voltage output of the alternator (should be around 14.4 volts DC, and, it needs to be able to measure the amperage output of the alternator (at least 50, higher is better). If either value is below specification (which I would suspect will be found), replace the alternator. Note, the alternator test will pass if the lights you speak of are not illuminated. I suspect you have an internal issue inside the alternator which is intermittent. Personally, based on your explanation of the issue, and experience with this same problem in the shop, I would replace the alternator. When choosing an alternator, there is no substitute for a Toyota part. Low-cost parts store alternators have horrible quality issues and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please confirm you have received my input. Thanks.