Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I own a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE presently with no steering

Customer Question

I own a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE presently with no steering wheel controls. I'm getting a Kenwood in-dash deck with a lot of capability (blue-tooth, radio, navigation, etc.) at Best Buy and would like to add audio and blue tooth controls at rhe time the deck is installed. I purchased the switches (Toyota part(###) ###-#### which are supposed to be compatible with my car. The Geek Squad techs who I spoke with about this wanted me to find out if this Corolla is prewired to accomodate this sort of upgrade? Also, is there any specific programming that will be needed on the car's computer? Thanks.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 29 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Sadly, this car is not pre-wires for steering controls, other than the ones it came with. The issue is the unit called the 'clockspring". This is the device that transfers the controls on the steering wheel (hirn, cruise, etc) to the steering column. The wheel with the controls has a clockspring with additional wires to accommodate the other switches. So, without the clockspring connecting to the column harness, you cannot use the controls. I am reasonably certain that the column is not prewired either. I would investigate another means of controls, as the steering wheel issue is not going to work for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better now than when you tear into it and find there is no place to attach your wires to. Apologies. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.