Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Rear Window shade problem. When shifting into reverse,

Customer Question

Rear Window shade problem. When shifting into reverse, grinding (?) noise like gears not engaging for 30 seconds. What repairs, or adjustments, are required ?
JA: How old is the clutch? Has the clutch or its cables ever been replaced?
Customer: Avalon is 2007 Limited model. Clutch nor cables have been replace.
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Went to dealership. Repair clerk affirmed the noise and responded that additional diagnosis and repairs would be necessary and cost for the diagnosis would be $150
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 months ago.

Do you have the vehicle identification number so that I can check a few things? I thought there was a technical service bulletin or possibly recall on that rear window shade. Does the shade work in any direction if you give it a little assistance will it start to work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ID # 4T1BK36B57U215501. Shade works when button is pressed. Noise comes when shifting into reverse.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have had to assist screen manually to have it retract down.

Just to clarify you are saying that the grinding noise only occurs from the shade when it tries to go down automatically when you go into reverse? The grinding noise coming from the shade? Again just to clarify using the switch putting the shade up or down you hear no noise coming from the shade?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The grinding noise occurs every time when shifting into reverse. Usually have to move side brackets in to 'free' from the sides so it retracts into the trunk area.

If the grinding noises coming from the motor area what you're going to find is the assembly will have to be replaced. Whenever you go into reverse a signal is sent back to the system and if the shade is in the up position it will try and retract it. If by giving it some assistance down it continues to the down without any for the noise or sticking then this will confirm that the shade retractor motor simply will have to be replaced. I have replaced several of them due to sticking and not retracking and for making noise. I checked the vehicle identification number there are no customer support programs or extended warranties or recalls on this particular vehicle.