Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My left timing belt crankshaft is moving after timing belt

Customer Question

my left timing belt crankshaft is moving after timing belt is removed
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: i just got it. it has 178k
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2003 toyota sequoia
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replacing the timing belt, yes i am doing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After I remove the belt and compared to new oem belt, looks like the cr point has not very well matched with the old mark.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. do you mean the left camshaft sprocket?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I turn the crankshaft pulley, it was pretty hard to turn it. and I have marked the belt twice, looks like (i have removed the tensional) the left and right mark has moved significantly during my turning of crankshaft pulley.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the two marks ( that I marked both left and right timing mark) has moved at 20 teeths.

you should never manually turn the crank if it is hard to do. do you have the spark plugs removed?

so have you already put a new belt on? and then turned the crank manually? did you have the engine set at tdc on the compression stroke? before installing the new belt?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, i didnot remove the spark plugs

removing the plugs makes it a lot easier to manually turn the engine

what size engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I turn the timing belt from 0 toward the white dot, it is about 5 teeth away, i supposed that is a netural position, or tdc
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
4.7 L v8

tdc is when the #1 piston in at the top of its stroke on compression. you need to turn the crank until it comes up to the top. use a long thin extension to put in the #1 plug hole and what it as it comes up to the very top

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I supposed that has to be when belt is still on. i have removed the belt, then find the left spoke is moving
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with belt removed, I cannot move the crank shaft to the TDC I supposed. From your response, likely the tdc is not when the timing is match up, or the white dot that is 5 teeth away.

no do not attempt to move the crank or cams with the belt off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question is if the left spoke is very loose, where I can turn it by hand, is that need to be fixed? I cant turn the right hand spoke by hand, or the crankshaft pulley, i have to use a wrench to move them

you should be able to move both. you have something jammed up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was accident for the left handside crankshaft, however, I am calculating the teeth from the right, and the mark on the left, to know the position of the left handside crankshaft.

ill send you complete instructions. do not do anything elase

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how come my belt moved when I try to move the crankshaft pulley? is that a concerns? or I can just install the belt without worrying about it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is it a concerns that I did not move the crankshaft in the 0, but toward the other white dot on the crankshaft cover (five teeth to the right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only need to remove the number 1 spark plug, right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can I just align each of the spoke to the timing marks, including the cr marks (to be center, where the crankshaft should be at zero mark) or assume I am not too far, I can install the timing belt, and then just be sure the new OEM belts marks are match with all the timing after the tensional installed, and I am moving crank shaft a few turn, the marking will still match up?

im going to opt out. i cant get the answers or responses im looking for/ good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, when I turn a full turn on the left spoke, how many cylinda has I went through?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi, I supposed the same spoke will work for the different cyclinder the same, so I will just return the timing mark to the set mark, can I do that, then I supposed I will be fine? I am also concerns about the belt has moved during the turning of crankshaft pulley.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

Hello , all marks should be aligned as shown below. Once the belt is on and tensioned you should be able to turn the crank two times and the marks should realign. Let mek now if this helps

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does not matter bell has moved, or the spoke has moved, as long as I move the mark back to the right timing as in the pdf?

Correct, as long as you realign everything it should be fine. It's normal for the cam spoke to move when you remove old belt due to the valve springs turning the cam. You may need a helper to held the cam spoke in place while you put belt on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can i turn on engine with just timing belt in place, without other stuff, just to be sure the timing is correct?

It's best to turn the engine by hand a few revolutions to make sure marks realign then install timing belt covers and crankshaft pully, then you may crank it to hear that it runs properly for a few moments.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I set all to the marks, however, I have to move the right spoke to move the belt to the mark, and do the same to left spoke. Afterward, like the the bottom marks some how, I cannot have the mark set up right, unless I pull the belt toward the mark. maybe I need a special tools?
Expert:  Brad Barker replied 2 months ago.
You can try disconnecting the battery for about ten minutes and reconnect see if it resets the power steering. If the stiff wheel returns it is in limp mode and you need to get the code retrieved.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How to put the belt on, it is so tight, how the one teeth clockwise of right spoke and half teeth left spoke work?

The belt should have a fair amount of slack with the tensioner off. Look over the procedure below.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem is the right hand side. It does not have a tension much, so the teeth there are very tight between the cr pont, and the right hand pulley. I was not able to put it on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does not say how to put the right hand side belt. It is really tight. Unless I will pull the timing belt. then it is not supposed to has such much flexibility.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. just follow these steps and you should be fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCTGHurWA1c