Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

We need to manually disable the complete VSC system on a

Customer Question

we need to manually disable the complete VSC system on a 2008 Toyota tundra, can you help with that?
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has the car been handling lately?
Customer: there are 160,000 was running great until the vsc got jammed on. Took it to dealership and they want to replace pump and valves for nearly 3k. I live in Louisiana, don't really need the vsc system.
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: That depends. If I can disable the system, no repairs needed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. question to get a better picture of your issue , what do you mean the VSC ot jammed on what does it do?

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 28 days ago.

do you require further assistance? if not could you please rate my answer so it may be closed. Thank you.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Sorry for the delay, we had some unexpected occurrences to deal with out of town. The pumps associated with the entire Vehicle Stability Control System and/or the stabilatrack system went out leaving the system engaged which is preventing my truck from shifting properly. It feels like the brakes are being applied when I try to accelerate. All I want to know is how to completely and entirely disable the VSC system and all of its components. I live in Louisiana, it is not useful to me. Is there a relay I can pull and fuse I can pull or anything along those lines that will allow me to disable or totally bypass the VSC system?
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 27 days ago.

yes there is but I too have to go out right now but can have your answer latter today if that's ok or do you want me to pass it on to another expert? It's your choice.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
When ever you have a minute will be fine, thank you!
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 25 days ago.

this should help you accomplish what you want.

VSC Off…Doesn’t Turn VSC Off

For 2007 Toyota Tundras, pushing the VSC Off switch a single time doesn’t actually turn off Vehicle Stability Control. As confusing as it sounds, VSC remains active, but TRAC is turned off and in its place comes Auto LSD. Toyota added this mode in order to allow for full power application while still minimizing wheel spin through the Auto LSD feature. In order to fully disable all three systems in the 2007 Tundra, you have to actually have the truck completely stopped and then push and hold the VSC Off switch for three seconds.

2008 Adds An Additional Step

2008 and up Tundra owners were given an additional driving mode that slides in between 2007’s number two and number three. Holding down the VSC Off switch in these trucks turns off VSC and TRAC but keeps Auto LSD active, which can be useful when heading off-road or when dealing with deeper snow. In order to switch off all three, you will have to push and hold the switch for an additional three seconds – again while the truck is stopped.

Four-Wheel Drive Differences

When four-wheel drive is engaged – specifically 4H – the process for disabling Vehicle Stability Control is somewhat different. To turn off TRAC, simply push the VSC Off switch once. To turn off both TRAC and VSC, stop the vehicle (not difficult, since you are probably already stuck at this point) and then hold the switch for three seconds total. In 4L mode, you only have the option of TRAC off, which means that you have to hold the VSC Off switch for three seconds right from the start.

Needless to say, the systems each automatically re-engage once the vehicle has been turned on and off again.

Consult Your Manual

Confusing, isn’t it? This information is buried deep within your Tundra’s manual if you are looking for model year-specific information about how your VSC system interacts with your pickup. The instructions above, however, should help you get out of whatever sticky situation Toyota’s electronic driving aides might have gotten you into.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have read the manual cover -to-cover. I tried this already; not what I am looking for. I want to completely disable the entire aforementioned system(s) so that it cannot re-engage and it becomes a non-factor.

here is a video as well. If this is not to your liking you may have an ABS problem as well and then you may have to pull the ABS relay , THIS MAY TURN ON SOME TROUBLE TIGHTS BECAUSE THE REST OF THE SYSTEM IS STILL HOOKED UP TO THE ecu Hope thiis solves your problem . The other option is to find a cheaper ABS module either used or online they are ralitivaly easy to replace and you don't have to bleed anything.