Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I am getting code c1201 and trac control vsc light is on

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

The C1201 is really just a code saying that the vehicle has detected a fault and requested illumination of the VSC light. That code alone doesn't tell much.

By chance are there any other codes stored? Any other symptoms?

What is the model? All that came through was 2005, but no model. Tundra? Sequoia?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
2005 toyota 4 runner also code cylinder 2 misfire
Expert:  Jared D replied 29 days ago.

Ok, so the real problem is the p0302-cylinder 2 misfire code. The c1201 is just pointing to the c1201.

To diagnose an individual cylinder misfire the first thing to do is try swapping the ignition coil from that cylinder to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows the coil. In other words, swap the ignition coil from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4 (or any other cylinder). Clear the check engine codes and then monitor the misfire data. If the misfire code jumps to p0304 (of whichever cylinder you swapped the #2 coil to) then you know the coil is the problem and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Jared D replied 29 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.