Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 1994 celica gt. My hazard lights wont turn on, but my

Customer Question

I have 1994 celica gt. My hazard lights wont turn on, but my signals work. Is it a fuse? Bad connection or does the whole hazard switch needs to be replaced?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The hazard lights
JA: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far i switched out the haz-horn fuse to see if it was the fuse, but it was fine. I took apart the dash and took out the switch and Cleaned the connection with sandpaper
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that is all!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I believe you have a voltage distribution problem here. Would you happen to have a 12 volt DC testlight or DC voltmeter to make a couple tests to determine the cause of this issue? Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I actually do not. Is there any other way to tell?

Sadly, no. A voltage test is critical to determining the cause. If you were able to test, I would expect you to find that you have no power in the red and green wire connected to the back of the hazard switch...What this sounds like to me is you have a faulty hazard switch. The power to the turn signals runs thru a portion of the hazard switch, and then to the flasher. The switch on the steering column completes the circuit by providing a ground to whatever side is chosen. A faulty contact or broken printed circuit inside the flasher switch will cause your problem. The turn signal flasher is also uses for the hazard lights. So, if the turn signals work, the flasher is OK. I think a replacement hazard switch fixes this problem instantly.

Do you have any other questions for me on your request or my input? Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No thanks! Thats what i was thinking. I just put an order on a new switch so hopefully that will help. Thank you!

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again!

You are very welcome!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I just bought a new switch and the hazard lights still do not tyrn on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Blinkers work, but still no hazard lights. Could this be a wiring problem?

It is possible; but in order to determine this we need to be able to test for voltage.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm going to buy one today. Which wires should I test for?

On the back of the hazard switch, locate the solid brown wire. Probe for voltage. You should have power in this wire even with the key off. When the hazard switch is turned on, you should have power showing in the either the 2 other brown wires, or a green/black and a green yellow. (Some cars have 3 brown wires, some have a brown, a green/black and a green/yellow). The green/black and green/yellow (or the other 2 brown wires, whatever you have) would have power in them with the switch turned on. Additionally, you should also have power in the Green/red wire with the hazard switch on. The Green red wire powers the flasher, and the other wires (brown or green/yellow & Green black) are connected to the exterior lamps. .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do you use the multimeter to test the wire?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I will attach the necessary screen for a live conversation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello I didnt mean to request a live call, sorry I'm using this website via mobile
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also tested wires. 3 brown, but 2 shows no voltage reading when on

It would be easier if we did it via phone. Your black probe goes to a good metal ground someplace under the dashboard. The red lead goes to the wire you want to test. Set your meter to 20 volts DC

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already did that, what faulty wire should I be looking for

Does any of the brown wires have power?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
one does

You should have power in the other 2 with the hazard switch on.

You should also have power in the green wire with the orange stripe with the key on

Finally, you should have power either the Green/Red wire of the Green/White wire depending on where the switch is.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it also has power

Or the Green/White, not of the green/white. Sorry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it has power

Do you have a piece of wire, like speaker wire?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah, I have a piece of a remote wire left over. I just would need to strip it

Please stripe the wire. Remove the wire connector form the hazard switch. Insert on end of the bared wire into the slot where the powered brown wire is, and the other end into one of the other brown wire slots. Advise if any lights come on outside of the car.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No lights are on

Please type the colours of all of the wires on the back of the hazard witch wire connector.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3 brown, 1 green, 1 green red, 1 green orange, 1 green white, 1 white green

If you cannot get any lights to come on by jumping a known powered wire to either of the other brown wires, there is a problem at connector "1-D' under the dash, on the driver side kick panel. Before we look at that, let's open the hood and then open the fuse panel....and make sure the second fuse from the top, on the left column, is good and has power in one side of the socket.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the fuse called? And should I be doing this was car on or off?

The fuse is the HAZ fuse. Car off. Power should be there all the time, key on or key off

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no reading on the hazard socket. I double checked with the radio as the radio is holding power

There are 3 fuses in a line. They are:

AM2

Hazard

Horn

All of these fuse sockets should have power on the left side of the socket. You state there is no power in either side of the hazard socket. Please remove the fuses above and below the hazard fuse and test for power on those other fuse sockets.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Am2 has power, but hazard and horn show no signs of power

was the horn inoperative also?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Horn works, but socket doesnt show a reading

That is strange. No power in the horn fuse socket; the horn should not work...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My fault, horn does not work. I tried it earlier today while driving and it did work though.

Let's do this. Plug the hazard switch back onto the connector if it is still unplugged. Turn the hazard switch on. Take a piece of wire. Jump from the battery positive post to the right side of the Hazard fuse socket. See if the hazard lights come on then.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It did not turn on, I was dumb amd tried the negative terminal too and found out that if you do that the fuse will blow hahaha

I am thinking you have a wiring problem under the dash. There is a 12 pin connector at the top left of the kick panel area. The non-powered brown wires come to this connector. I would see if you have power a the brown wires at this connector with the switch on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I should take the panel under the steering wheel off?

yes, and take the panel off at the driver side kick panel. That is where you want to look at the wire connector

I will need to pick this back up with you tomorrow; it is getting late and I need to be up by 4 AM for work. I will check tomorrow after 7 PM east coast time to see if your connector wires have power or not.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was about to say the same thing. Thanks for the help! I'll find out in the morning.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are 9 wires cut off.. I spliced the brown one and connected it to the other brown wire and when I put the saftey lights on the click started to work, but no flashing.

Whoa. Are those the wires for connector 1D?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is connector 1d?

The connector under the dash. Where are those disconnected wires from?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure, i'll have to check because i'm at work right now. All I know is that the brown wire that is with all the other cut wires turns on the clicking noise for the hazard light

the power to the flashers runs thru that connector.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The brown wire?

Correct. Power comes into the switch and then exits thru the brown wires. they go to the wire connector where they branch out to the flasher and the lights. It is sort of a parallel system.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What should I check sine the flasher is not working

Find the turn signal flasher under the dash by turning on the turn signals and searching for the ticking/flash noise. On the flasher unit, you should have three wires. Black/White, Green White, and Green/Red. Power comes from the Hazard fuse thru the switch. Power leaves the switch and goes to the flasher via the Green/Red wire. When the flasher heats up (via the draw of the lamps), it makes/breaks a circuit to ground *the white/black wire). This is what causes the lights to flash. I would think you have a problem with the green/red wire not showing power when the hazard switch is on at the flasher.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All I see is a solid green and solid red wire though.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any way I can connect all of those wires to other wires?

Let's do this: Chekc for power in each of them with the turn signals on, and then the hazard switch on (turn signals off). See which has power.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is power in all of them
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

What are the colours of the wires on the flasher please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are the pictures of the unit.

I am very sorry, that is not the turn signal flasher. The turn signal flasher only has 3 wires on its connector.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the next step we should take?

Back to square one. Need to find the flasher under the dash.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I looking for the flasher relay?

Left kick panel; driver side. 3 terminals.