Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

94 Landcruiser died while driving down road and won't

Customer Question

94 Landcruiser died while driving down road and won't restart.
Changed the fuel pump did not help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

There are several things that can make an engine shut down, a bad fuel pump being just one of them. Have you tried starting fluid? If the engine starts and runs momentarily on starting fluid, then we'll know that compression and ignition are OK and that we'll need to focus on fuel delivery and distribution.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have not tried starting fluid. Where do I start to determine if it is an ignition problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My vehicle is not located where I am at the moment, please give me some guidance on additional steps to take to diagnose the problem.

Diagnosing a no-start on this computer-controlled fuel injected engine can be difficult even for an experienced technicians. Things that can cause this engine to shut down and not re-start are insufficient cylinder compression, lack of fuel pressure/volume, lack of injector pulse and/or lack of ignition spark; all of which require some tools and the skills to use those.

Do you have any other information that would help us narrow down the issue? For example, what test result prompted replacement of the fuel pump? Was the circuit tested and the pump found not be working?