Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist

2004 Toyota Sienna AWD Does SAS-reset procedure or 0-point

Customer Question

2004 Toyota Sienna AWDDoes SAS-reset procedure or 0-point calibration required during a wheel alignment service? Is it suggested, recommended, or mandatory? Is there a TSB that will confirm if this is required during an alignment?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it is not mandatory per Toyota or at least not shown that way but in a way it is in TSB's. In our shop we try to do this every time we do and alignment or change a suspension part and some customers do not wantt to pay for the recommend and to date none have returned with any issues, It is a recommend and a high recommend by me as it is a step that should be done, It requires recal of the yaw rate sensor and SAS. mandatory? no, recommend? yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would TSB# ***** be the correct reference for this alignment?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

yes, 100% and tsb SB0020-08 is some information on calibration

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why wouldn't SU008-06 mention or reference this info?My VSC light turned on after an alignment when the tech performed the SAS/0-point cal. Light on and no codes before, during, and after. Now light won't go off and dealer says the repair is $4000 to replace the ABS mod/actuator.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

this what I was trying to explain, It si NOT or was not a required thing to do, A TSB is issued after x number of problems or complaints say after and alignment, Toyota goes back and changes some things, Alignment specs may be one and recal on some things like SAS. I do not have the answer as to why or when or how they determined all this, I can only reference my thoughts from many years doing this, I can not say whay they say a module or $4000 I am not there of course, I can only say, if no problems beforehand? one should back up, recheck alignment and do the recals as mentioned in docs I sent, If they affected or damaged something? then that is a whole different thing. I dont know how they performed recals or tests or conducted alignment . I am trying to help as to supply the informatyion as I know it is. maybe? an error on their end, seems cooincidental to me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Service was performed at an alignment shop where they used a CodeLink devise that resets SAS at the end of the alignment. The VSC dash light tripped and won't go off. Shop has not been helpful. I have been to two Toyota dealers and they cannot get light to turn off, their diagnostics say the module needs to be replaced to turn light off. Does this sound right? I took my car in for $79 alignment and now I have to pay $4000 to turn it off. This can't be right.....I know you were't personally there and I am not blaming you for any of these problems, I am on a fact finding mission hence the reason I am paying for your professional advise.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Honestly? I have sent you all I can. I can only say this is not normal. You dont do and alignment and then a $4000 module. Soemone messed up and I dont have information on how they tested etc, If the moduel has failed? it would not be from a simple reset recal. best answer? no it does not seem right, I specialize on alignments and never had this happen to date. Just does not add up, I really wish I had more, I undertsand fact finding and you want 100% answer but that is not possible. I am not running tests and looking at vehicle. You added new information to the question but this addon makes things that much more complex from my end. I had said the recal is NOT required but recommend. Alignment specs changed at some point, after that and now a 4K module? sure sounds to me the original shop did something wrong Just my .02