Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

I was disconnected earlier. I have a 2014 RAV4. My son ran

Customer Question

I was disconnected earlier. I have a 2014 RAV4. My son ran the battery down yesterday and had to get it jumped. After it was jumped, the car would not accelerate and the TRAC OFF light was permanently on and the engine light. Took it to the shop and they are telling me that the part is P2118 and that I need a new throttle actuator control motor, and the part alone is going to cost $974. These seems outrageous! I asked if they checked the fuse and they said, "yeah yeah of course we did," but I'm not so sure.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: I haven't touched the car myself. An independent shop has it right now.
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, the shop has it. I had to get it towed since my son ran down the battery, running the ac with the engine off while I was in the store.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything. It has right at 60,000 miles and Toyota is telling me this is not covered under my extended warranty.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Your Rav 4 has an electronic throttle body and its possible it has failed due to the battery dying but there is one thing that they should try before you consider having them replace anything. The computer system is designed to compensate for any sludge build up in the throttle body that occurs over time by learning the closed throttle valves . When the battery dies the PCM will loose the close throttle values and cause the throttle to not respond. Before you let them replace it, have them try removing the negative battery cable and then give the throttle body a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and a soft cloth. Be sure they clean the throttle bore and plate real well at the same time. Once they have done this, reconnect the cable and start the engine and allow it to idle for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the computer to re-learn the closed throttle values. Give this a try , in some cases it will solve the problem with out having to replace the actuator motor.