Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Security is on lock down, 2007 Toyota Highlander, Yes.

Customer Question

Security is on lock down
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2007 Toyota Highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Unplugged battery cable opened all doors
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Took it to battery store it was low so they kept it over night recharged battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Can you explain to me, in detail, what is happening? Does the engine crank and not start? No Crank? etc....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine does not crank...we had to jump start it because the battery was low....we had the battery removed and fully charged but it still won't crank we are thinking its a security lock down but all lights come on
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 month ago.

When you jump started it, did it start normally? Was the battery properly load tested or just charged? Is there any chance that during the process of the battery removal or jump starting that the battery terminals got shorted, even for just a split second?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When we jumped started it with a jump box the vehicle honked liked it was a security system honk but never started
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery was fully charged by interstate battery
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 month ago.

Does this vehicle have an aftermarket alarm system? Do you know if they load tested the battery? A battery can be charged, but still not have enough power to start the vehicle if the battery itself has an issue. Any chance the terminals got shorted?

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 month ago.

Do you have access to any diagnostic equipment such as a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No aftermarket security its factory. I don't know if there was a load test on the battery. I will check the cable tomorrow and I don't have any diagnostic equipment or digital voltmeter
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 month ago.

The jump box you were using, how big is it, in amperage? It should say on it somewhere. Check to be sure the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to the on position. Since you had the battery charged, have you attempted to jump start it again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know the amp but I will check tomorrow. I don't recall seeing the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on position. No I have not tried to jump start again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the check engine light is on when the key is in the on position