Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have an 07 sienna. The drivers brake light does not come

Customer Question

I have an 07 sienna. The drivers brake light does not come on when the brake is depressed, but it flashes when the lift gate is closed.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: No, but the car was just serviced. How could that cause one brake light to not work?
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I bugged out the wiring and it is good. The bulb is good too. It flashes when the rear gate is closed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have read on Sienna chat that others have had this problem and it's always the drivers side light
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sienna.

What does bugged out the wiring mean?

Have you checked to see if this bulb is dual filament? Meaning that the brake light filament is out but the running light (the flash you are seeing) filament is good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On this model, the brake lights are single filament. With the power rear door option, the brake lights flash twice and a buzzer sounds when the power door starts to move. This works perfectly on my Sienna, and this is how I know the wiring (to the bulb)and bulb are both good. When the brake pedal is depressed, the passenger side brake light comes on but the driver's side does not. This problem is discussed on the "Sienna Chat" website, but no fix is mentioned.