Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2000 toyota echo codes p1349 and p1656. Can i drive it to a

Customer Question

2000 toyota echo codes p1349 and p1656. Can i drive it to a garage to fix it or drive it period or will that cause further damage. FYI I had compressor replaced 1 day before codes came on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

DTC P1349: VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) SYSTEM MALFUNCTION

CAUTION: If ECM replacement is instructed in following tests, always ensure ECM connectors and ground circuit are okay. If either are suspect, repair and repeat testing to confirm ECM malfunction.

Circuit Description

The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system controls intake valve timing in response to driving conditions. Electronic Control Module (ECM) controls Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Oil Control Valve (OCV) to ensure correct valve timing. VVT OCV is located on timing chain side of cylinder head, next to intake manifold. Oil pressure controlled by VVT OCV is supplied to VVT controller. VVT controller then changes relative position between camshaft and crankshaft. VVT controller is located on front of intake camshaft. DTC P1349 is set if ECM detects valve timing does not change (fixed timing). Possible causes are:

• Incorrect valve timing.
  • Defective Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Oil Control Valve (OCV).
  • Defective VVT controller assembly.
  • Defective ECM.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

DTC P1656: OIL CONTROL VALVE (OCV) MALFUNCTION

Circuit Description

The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system controls intake valve timing in response to driving conditions. Electronic Control Module (ECM) controls VVT Oil Control Valve (OCV) to ensure correct valve timing. VVT OCV is located in cylinder head at timing chain side of engine. Oil pressure controlled by VVT OCV is supplied to VVT controller. VVT controller then changes relative position between camshaft and crankshaft. VVT controller is located on front of intake camshaft. DTC P1656 is set if ECM detects an open or short in VVT OCV circuit. Possible causes are:

• VVT OCV circuit is open or shorted.
  • Defective VVT OCV.
  • Defective ECM.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Check the engine oil level and condition, also aftermarket oil filters can cause this code. Change the oil and filter and clear the codes.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already know the technical stuff. Main question is can I drive it 50 miles to a repair shop and does replacing alternator and air compressor 2 days ago have anything to do with the codes? They came on while driving home from the shop!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to give a low rating because you did not answer my original question!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
file an objection to deny payment to this site
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes you can drive it to the shop it will be ok, these codes are only for the variable valve timing. It may be related if something was left unplugged or a connector was bumped and broken during the repair.

I hope this was helpful, feel free to ask me any more questions, glad to help.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks