Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a used Sienna 2006 with 144,000 miles. Toyota and

Customer Question

I have a used Sienna 2006 with 144,000 miles. Toyota and local transmission shops both say don't change the fluid as it may never have been changed. They both will only change if I sign a waiver that releases them if trans goes bad. What do you think?
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: About a month ago it was a little dirty but also mostly pink
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It have not tried to fix it. There is some slippage in reverse and when I let off the throttle and then engage it again. It does not leak any fluid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The van was not kept up well. But engine has good compression and van rides well
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

According to the Toyota Normal Service Schedule for this vehicle, there is NO service interval at which the transmission fluid "needs" to be replaced as part of any maintenance schedule. The fluid is to be inspected at intervals of every 15,000 miles and replaced on a need-to basis. As long as there are no shifting problems and/or no service has been done to the transmission that may have contaminated the fluid... it's best to leave it alone. Replacing the fluid "just" to replace it usually causes more harm than it cures. Your local shops are completely correct. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

..