Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Car starts revs up a bit then dies. Check engine car on

Customer Question

Car starts revs up a bit then dies. Check engine car on p2111. This all started when car wouldn't start all of a sudden. Would turn key but nothing would happen. So I tapped starter and it stated. Drove it home. Replaced battery terminals and starter. Now starter works but car won't stay onūüėě
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

hello, check to make sure the throttle body electrical plug is on and no pins are damaged or bent. Check fuses under the hood

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Took throttle body connecter off and visually inspected it. Looks good to me. Also, took of throttle body off and cleaned it. While waiting I also noticed that I can't hear fuel pump pressurizing when ignition is on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've checked the fuses. They're good. Switched out the efi relay

Thanks , the code is specific to the throttle body, was it already replaced or only cleaned?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Replaced and cleaned. Though, I replaced it with used part out of 2008 corolla from LKQ.

Did the part numbers match? I'm not sure if the 2008 is the same.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
0d031
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wasn't sure either but they said it did
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a scanner? The code is for the electronic control throttle body. I suspect you got a bad one or it isnt compatible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would that cause my car to start rev up a bit and then die?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

My immediate guess is that the throttle body you have installed is not compatible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check it.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Ok.let me know if you need anything else

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Throttle body good. Fuel pump good. Relays good turns out computer needed to relearn idle. Which I obtain info from PD mechanic at work. Which he gave me answer in 15 seconds. I don't understand how between all three I spoke to couldn't give me the answer
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you . I was just reading all your correspondences and it looks every one failed to observe one thing is that you had disconnected your battery, every time you do that the ECU has to go through a time of relearning and it almost acts like there is something wrong but really isn't if that makes sense.then after it gathers all the info and your driving habits it will set the perimeters to run on. So your friend was right and must have experienced that before .Hope you cleared the original code and all should be good. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. I am a Toyota master tech of 30 years so if you require further assistance in the future I;ll be happy to do so. Just request me , thank you and have a great day.