david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

2000 lexus 400 LS won't start sometimes. acts like the

Customer Question

2000 lexus 400 LS won't start sometimes. acts like the locking system is hung up. wait for 20 or 30 minutes and it will start. Did it 4 times this week.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David. thanks for visiting the site. when you say locking system, what are you talking about?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Transmition has to be in park or nutural befor the car will start, and maybe the stering wheel in lock pos. Anti theaf mode with the key chip

ok. so, im still not understanding. the vehicle will only start in park or neutral(normal). the steering wheel locked(normal) and the theft deterrent relaxed with good key in ignition.(normal). so what is the problem?

are you saying sometimes it wont start? if so as long as the above conditions are met, then it has nothing to do with any of that, unless when you crank the vehicle the security light isnt going out

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing hapens when everthing is in its properplace. Everthing goes ded Dash light go out, motor dosen't crank. waite 20 min. or so and it will start.

ok. do you have a multi meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not with me. I'am on vacation.This has happened 4 times in a week. Macanics I have talk to say they cant fix it when its working. What is the most probable cause
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'am driving about 200 miles a day and makinr many stops

starter overheating, but thats a guess. without a meter i cant be sure. they would have to see the voltage drop on the battery when cranking the engine. another possibility is the crank positon sensor overheating the nworks when cooled down

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The starter was replaced a year ago. where is the crank position sensor located
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are there any mechanicle switches in that circut yhat could hang up?

theres the starter relay that could stick, the solenoid on the starter could stick.....

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Location of the starter relay. Is it in the fuse panel under the hood?

i will send you a diagram.

under hood

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Under the hood dosn't tell me much. I asumed that. Is it in the fuse panel? The starter relay

yes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still waiting for a diagram

that is the diagram of the underhood fuse panel

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cant expand it. Its too small to reade

ok hang on

save it to your computer and open it in another program

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did. Same results. Is that the same imige thats on the cover of the fuse panel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
or on the relay

the relay is the middle relay on the bottom row of relays

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thankyou. Its been a big help. Had to leave. Keith Bunn
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I bought one just incase. Don't belive thats the problem.

I dont know if its going to be the problem or not, but you not having a meter leaves me with very little abilty to find out whats going on. i never just throw parts at cars hoping for a fix. not my style. if you obtain a multi meter and check some voltages and resistances then we can find out whats going on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the starter solinod internal with the starter or out side someware? I don't either, but had to do something to make the wife happy.She wanted to head for home.

actually the solenoid is attached to the starter. it comes as an assembly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Crank position sensors location?

thats always possible, but man i hate you throwing parts at it, but i know your situation. hang on ill send you a pic

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) is mounted to the transmission bellhousing at the left/rear side of the engine block. Engine speed and crankshaft position are provided through the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor generates pulses that are the input sent to the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM interprets the sensor input to determine the crankshaft position. The PCM then uses this position, along with other inputs, to determine injector sequence and ignition timing. The sensor is a Hall effect device combined with an internal magnet. It is also sensitive to steel within a certain distance from it.

On 4.0L 6-cylinder engines, the flywheel/drive plate has 3 sets of four notches at its outer edge. The notches cause a pulse to be generated when they pass under the sensor. The pulses are the input to the PCM. For each engine revolution there are 3 sets of four pulses generated.

The trailing edge of the fourth notch, which causes the pulse, is four degrees before top dead center (TDC) of the corresponding piston. The engine will not operate if the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position sensor input.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To recieve an input, the engin would have to crank would it?

yes it would. if you had a meter we could check the resistance of the sensor

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Leaving for the day. Thanks

ok, keep me updated

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not now. hasn,t hapeded since. maybe it will get me home headed for yellowstone now. thanks keith bunn

ok. Keith well if you were satisfied with my assistance , please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me. i will keep this open after you rate me just in case it happens again. thanks and enjoy your vacation.