Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

Karr alarm system on a 2005 Highlander, remotes do nothing,

Customer Question

Karr alarm system on a 2005 Highlander, remotes do nothing, they don't unlock doors or arm/disarm. It's not the remote batteries either. Horn double beeps (very fast beepbeep) each time I start my car now. What's going on?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

what you need is a diagnostic scan with a Toyota or Equivalent scanner to Retrieve the fault codes from the anti theft module and see why the security alarm is triggered, there several components in the system, from key, to module, door switch hood switch , etc... to see what is failing

If you get it scanned and get codes just post them back here and i can help you further on it if you need to .

We can try Resetting it with the below methods if you have not already .

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello and thanks for your response. Will the diagnostics code show any information?--This is an aftermarket Karr alarm system (installed by Toyota, as it was a certified used Toyota off-lease). Also, sensors... You think something's tripping it? I did have a very large rock smash my windshield bad on the highway the other day, still need to get it fixed... Do you think there's a window sensor that would trip via the presence of a 12" spiral crack?

You welcome

no i doubt it is the rock on the windshield , should not matter

if they installed the oem alarm then yes it will show us, if they used the after market one then it want show us .

I would visit the wiring of the alarm where it was installed on the harness on the car ,usually where you will find the fault unless a component failed in it like a motion switch ,hood switch etc,.