Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

1997 RAV4, changed timing belt, wont start- will run on

Customer Question

1997 RAV4, changed timing belt, wont start- will run on ether- checked timing twice, all is good, checked #1 fuel injector w/noid lite, lite is dark--hooked up genysis found no codes, made sure fuel in tank and fuel pump runs ---- help!!
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: yes a otc gensys, there are no codes.
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying figure out how the fuel injectors fire- and if there is an immobiliser on it from the factory?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: chek crank sensor, its ok(1440 ohms) figured out crank sensor fires spark plugs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

hello and welcome

The 1997 model did not have a factory engine immobilizer, it seems there may be a problem with the fuel injectors, the light should be flashing bright while cranking. First check the injector supply voltage, one wire on each injector should have constant 12 volts, use a voltmeter if possible, the other wire on the connector goes to the computer (ECM) the computer determines injector duration by providing a ground signal of a frequency depending on engine speed to turn the injectors on and off. The crank sensor is one of the input signals the computer needs but not the only one, the computer determines when to let the ignition system fire the spark plugs, you said there are no codes and the crank sensor resistance seems ok.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK,put test lite on injector,one side is hot,one side is dead,funny thing is the test lite would blink on the dead side,only when the ignition key was released from start position.l it. Put noid lit on injector connector_no flash.tested noid light on another vehicle and it works.

It sounds like the computer is not turning the injectors on, the light should flash when cranking the engine. Hard to say what that may be without codes present.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what makes it strange- does the distributor send signals to the ECM to operate the injectors?

It depends on where the crank sensor is located I think on this one it should be mounted on the front right near the crank pulley, you should see the wire going down to it, if not it's in the distributor, let me know which it is.d

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does what does the reluctor do under the distributor cap?

It provides an rpm input signal to the computer.

Is the coil mounted externally or inside the distributor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's late I'll text you tomorrow at 5--it has an external coil.

Ok, then the crank angle sensor is on the front of the engine, I'll send you some info on testing the distributor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

copy this link into your browser