Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Car will not pass smog test, OBDII monitor not ready, 2004

Customer Question

Car will not pass smog test
JA: What specifically didn't pass the test? When was your last oil change?
Customer: OBDII monitor not ready
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2004 Toyota Camry
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, just got back from taking smog test. It was suggested that we dive the car 100 or 150 miles and them it will pass
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

When the Readiness Monitors are not set to ready, unfortunately, it is true- the only way to cure this is to drive the vehicle. Basically, it's roughly 75-100 miles of combined highway and stop-and-go city driving. Toyota has issued a "Drive Cycle" that can be done that will help get the Monitors set to 'ready' more quickly and efficiently. Try to stay as close as possible to the times and speeds stated in the Cycle for best and quickest results. For easier viewing/printing, I've wrapped up the Drive Cycle into a PDF file. Download the PDF file here: https://goo.gl/snu7Ug

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did the drive cycle get the monitors set? Did you have any other questions? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

..